Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DEVAUX car bodies

Hello,
I have been researching the net on info about the Devaux car. At the site coachbuilt.com there seems to be a descrepancy on who built the bodies for Devaux. The Hayes article claims ownership of the Devaux, but at the bottom of the Murray article in the engineering report Devaux is also listed there. Could they both have built the bodies? Just curios. Anyone have any info or thoughts they would like to share?

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes - 1931 DEVAUX

Re: DEVAUX car bodies

Dennis:

The body of the DeVaux was designed by Count Alexis De Sakhnoffsky, the art director for Hayes Body Corp. Hayes supplied all the body's of the DeVaux from their Grand Rapids Factory. There is a small emblem on the lower cowl (passenger side) that says "Hayes". Cowl forward is unique to DeVaux but cowl back is the same basic body as on the Marmon Rossevelt.
Count De Sahnoffsky was reportedly disappointed with the end result as he was "Pushed" to complete the design. He went on later to design the Auburn boatail.
I have collected a good amount of information on the DeVaux. The majority of it comes from Howard and Myron in Michigan who have 9 DeVaux's between them. (Pictures in the "Photographs" section).
As I said in my E-mail to you, if you want any printed stuff, let me know. Gary

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club