Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bending front axle

One front wheel on my 4-07 has too much positive camber, enough to wear the outside of the tire. There is a visible difference between the two front tires, even to the naked eye when looking from the front. Before I go at it with hydraulics and chains, has anybody bent an axle before and can suggest where to apply pressure and where to chain?

Secondly, in looking at our TECH PAGE, there is reference to measuring camber in inches. I can only guess what this means. Camber is usually given in degrees, eg. 1.25' Can anyone explain camber in inches?

Thanks ... RonJ

Where Are You From? www.ronjpics.com/durantstuff.htm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 4-07

Re: Bending front axle

HI RON
THAT IS A HARD AXLE TO BEND UNLESS YOU ARE PROPERLY EQUIPPED.I WAS A FRONT END MECHANIC FOR OVER 30 YEARS AND HAVE BENT MANY AND AXLE,1ST CAMBER CHEKED IN INCHES IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TOP AND BOTTOM MEASURED BETWEEN THE 2 FRONT WHEELS 1.25 WOULD BE A CORRECT CAMBER FOR OUR CARS,IDEALY .75 WOULD BE PERFECT IF THE CARS COULD BE DRIVEN AT HIGH SPEED,PLUS INCREASE CASTER BY 1 DEGREE,2 DEGREES + WOULD BE PERFECT.BEFORE YOU GET INTO BENDING THE AXLE CHECK AND MAKE SURE THE SPINDLE ISNT BENT IT IS MUTCH EASIER TO STRAIGHTEN AND IS LIKELY THE PROBLEM.IF YOU HAVE A BENT SPINDLE THE K P I KING PIN INCLINATION WILL BE OUT CAUSING TIRE SQEEL ON LEFT HAND TURNS.EMAIL ME AND I,LL SEND YOU A DIAGRAME IF YOU MUST BEND AND I,LL TELL YOU HOW TO HEAT IT AND WERE.IF SOMONE TELLS YOU NOT TO HEAT IT THERE WRONG.
BRIAN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 star 27star

Re: Bending front axle

Hi Brian, could you post your email address here or email me at ... ronj@nrtco.net

Ron

Where Are You From? www.ronjpics.com/durantstuff.htm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 4-07

The Durant Motors Automobile Club