Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
update on my work

Finally after 20 hrs of working on the lathe and mill.
All is left is to have them hardend and then we can try it out.
Soon,
Franz

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Where Are You From? vancouverdurantstarcarconnection.ca

Re: update on my work

My, that is one pretty piece of work. Will be glad to see the finished product.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac

Franz
You are a true artist! A truly rare find for the Durant club!

Do You own a car built by Durant? Almost

Franz:
I keep looking at your die. Do you still have to make another one to shape the ends? Not being a machinist, I have a hard time visualizing how this will work. It will make the straight pieces, but I don't see how it will form them. Sure looks pretty though.

Gord.

Hello Gord,
Good question, yes I still have to make the
tooling for the bending part of the operation.

Soon,
Franz

Where Are You From? vancouverdurantstarcarconnection.ca

Ok guys, I'll bite. What does these spring things do ? Been a long time since early 60's and I can't grasp their purpose at present, though they seem familiar. The lenses are held in place with wire clips and I could use some of those ,both parking light and main.
Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan J5222

Norm:
These clips are used on the early drum type headlights. Your 1932 does not use them.
These clips were used as part of the locking mechanism for the headlight ring. Used 4 clips per headlight. If you know how a Model T Ford ring locks on to the bucket, it is a similar type locking mechanism. 4 pins on the ring, lock behind 4 spring clips.
Gord

Franz and Gord,

Franz, that is some nice looking machining, looks to me like it will work fine...Gord, I have Model T Rings on my early A-22 Drum shells, would you have any idea if these clips would make the proper connection? As I recall the T Rings would slip over the Durant shells perfictly but the pins wouldn't engauge properly, not knowing what else to do I ground spiral slots in the lip of the Drum Shells for the Ring pins to cam into then put a small stainless lock screw in the bottom (not proud of my installation but it looks fine)...Since the original Rings are as scarce as hens teeth it would be nice if we could adapt the T Rings in a more humainly fashion...Bill

Thanks Gord. My 1909 T had brass carbide lights so was before the steel ones from 1915 / 16 on. Had to cheat on the lights by using a 4 drawer filing cabinet folder rods that had knurled brass ends outside the drawers .You turned them off the rods and they fit the T lights to lock the door shut. Never know where a substitute is hiding, ha ha Yes I know now what you are talking about having seen T and other lights. I knew the part was familiar. One less thing I have to worry about finding.
Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan J5222

The Durant Motors Automobile Club