Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'27 Coupe Progress

We made some progress in the last few days. I have the body cross brace, seat spring frames, and floor seat frame completed in pine and two sets in red oak.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star coupe

Re: '27 Coupe Progress

Hey Don, I notice that on some of your pictures you are using Pine instead of Oak. Aren't you worried about the softness of the pine? Most 20's cars wood I thought was made of maple, oak or ash for it's hardness and durability, is pine the same?

Do You own a car built by Durant? Almost

Pine is not even close. Although, I've read about one auto manufacturer using pine to frame their cars back in the early '20s, none of them still exist today!

Since both of the coupes we are building had been earlier "restored at",and "rewooded", almost none of the present wood could be used as dependable patterns. Therefore, I am using pine as a trial pattern maker. When I get the fit properly made I transfer the measurments over to Ash and Red Oak for the final assembly.

Trips have been to San Diego to visit Lance and pick up a few parts with original wood. We recently made a run to Pensicola to visit with Jim Elbert and photograph and measure the rear woodwork in his '26 coupe.
The next roadtrip will be to Pa. to visit Steve Gardner and take measurments and photos of the top construction on his '27 coupe.

Both sets of doors are completed using ash, and the body cross brace, seat spring frames, and seat floor stand are finished using red oak and waiting to be varnished.

When I'm finished, I'll have a complete pine wood body frame, sanded and varnished, to display at our new antique auto museum. It will be an educational display showing patrons how auto bodies were built up to the early 30's.

Also, when we're finished, we'll use the original body wood from both cars and have a weenie roast!!

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 Star Touring, '27 Star Coupe

Don, looks like you and Butch are doing a great job on the woodwork, I am wondering why you didn't lay the keel first, It looks like your posts are knotched for the sill however so I'll bet you have that all figgured out.

I have about the same thing going on on my '17 Overland Touring, both my bandsaw and my brain are getting a severe workout...In my case someone had laid a 2x4 and 2x6 fir side by side for the sill and then patched some cripples on the original posts, I do have a lot of the original wood to work from...
I was supprized to find that the Willys-Overland-Knight registry have all the factory Drawings dating back to 1908 so I am being mailed the 36"x 24" body print plus several sub-componit prints...
This has probably been asked before but would anyone know if the Durant Drawings are still in existance or have they disposed of? Bill

Bill, I didn't have the original bottom sills to start with. Once I get the body properly positioned, I'll plot the shape of the sills and build a set. I did have a couple of excellent patterns for the notch on the bottom of the pillars. All four should be the same.

I've never heard of any Durant blueprints still in existance. It would be nice, though. You are extremely lucky to have some avaliable for your project.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star coupe

Hi Don, I have a '27 Coupe like what you're working on. From looking at your photo, I can see why my seat-back doesn't fit right. It seems I'm missing some pieces. Would you mind sending me any other photos you might have, or some kind of drawing so I might re-create the seat-back support? Dave Haggland sbend@evansinet.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 Star Coupe

Things are rolling pretty good here at the shop. We got the frames out and triangulated for straightness and looking for anything that might need repairing before sandblasting.

Here is a pic of the pattern woodwork progress to date.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Don
My dad was a woodworker by trade all his life and did a fine job, he was a perfectionist so living all my live around him and his work, I've come to appreciate fine wood work. It looks like you've done a great job, and one to be proud of. Can't wait to see the ole gal finished. It's ashame that all the beautiful woodwork will be covered up behind material. I sure do love the look of wood on cars, real wood and not plastic like today's cars. Thanks for keeping us posted on the progress your doing, it's interesting to see how she's coming along.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Model 65 4dr

Don, the wood sure looks good! Why don't you take a brief trip to Tucson, AZ. I'm about ready to start my wood. Good job. Glenn

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star

Don
Sure is a beautiful job being done . Wish I was half as good at the wood work as that. Makes my work look like an apple crate. I am glad it will be covered and no one will see it .
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 deluxe rumble seat coupe model 614

Don,

I hope that you don't make the same mistake that I did on my Touring, I made the final adjustments on the doors and had everything looking real good then realised that I hadn't tightened the front sill bolts down to the frame, when I tightened them down the two front doors went completely out of whack...Oh well, nothing but what a little back-up work won't cure...Did you end up using a finger joint cutter on the curved pieces? Bill

To make the finger joints I turn the radial saw blade horizontal and set the travel to the desired angle. I make a few cuts on scrap to check the fit and then use wood gauge blocks to prove the width of cuts.
Anyone trying this method, BE CAREFUL as the blade guard is removed during this operation!!!
So far, I still have all my fingers,,,,,,,
Don

I'm building the framework on a dead flat table and will shim between the body and frame as necessary.

To make the finger joints I turn the radial saw blade horizontal and set the travel to the desired angle. I make a few cuts on scrap to check the fit and then use wood gauge blocks to prove the width of cuts.
Anyone trying this method, BE CAREFUL as the blade guard is removed during this operation!!!

So far, I still have all my fingers,,,,,,,
Don

This photo was taken last Saturday at our Museum's annual spring show. Many people wanted to see how our cars were constructed so this was a good opportunity for this display. I'm at the point of constructing the bottom sills and floor boards. After that, the final wood construction will begin! Butch will probably wait until late Spring to finish sand blasting the chassis parts as it gets pretty warm down here in the Summertime.

Don

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Durant Motors Automobile Club