Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil level indicator

W5 Continental motors have a very interesting system to measure oil level, by means of the floating indicator. I am repairing my engine and doubt if a regular cork will do the job in a sustainable way or will get impregnated with oil and finally sink.

Is there any advise about type and size and installation of the floating device that performs the job efficiently during years?

Regards

Ricardo

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Oil level indicator

My engine is still being rebuilt, but I have thought about this problem. Cork was originally used, seems like it would still work. To set the float I am thinking that I will replace the wire with an extra long one and put everything together, than fill the engine with the correct amount of oil, than cut the wire at the full mark. In answer to your question, when ever the oil is changed by adding the correct amount of oil you should be able to tell if the cork is still floating well.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Model F 2 dr Sedan

Carburetor floats that are made of cork have a coating of some sort of varnish. If varnish will keep gasoline out of a cork, it should keep oil out.

RonJ ...

Where Are You From? www.ronjpics.com/durantstuff.htm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 4-07

Hi All....

I've dipped mine in gas tank sealer, you can also use the cork float from a Model A Ford gas gauge

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? a dozen Durants & Stars cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Thanks for your inputs.

Ricardo

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Try sealing the cork with Shellac. It is a varnish used by the furniture industry, usually available at a Hardware store. Mix with methylated spirits to a paintable consistancy and wholly dip cork in it and leave to dry for several days. You could redip to give additional coats when touch dry.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 1929 D66 Special Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club