Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gas cap 1928 Durant 2dr coupe

Hi everyone. Iam in need of a gas cap.Someone needed mine.And removed it when I was parked in the plaza.So if any one knows of a cap could you email me. Mine was original complete with the D in the center.In side diamater 1 7/8" email address number1wolfman@hotmail.com Thanks in advance [THE WOLFMAN].

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Rugby model X and 1928 Durant 2dr coupe model D40

Re: gas cap 1928 Durant 2dr coupe

Help anybody know of a gas cap.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Rugby model X and 1928 Durant 2dr coupe model D40

hey wolfman,
i am going to hershey next week and will look for a cap for you. can anyone send me a picture or sketch of what it looks like?
regards, gary k

Do You own a car built by Durant? 2 - 1929 DURANTS

Thanks Gary. The original one was black with a D in the centre.Plastic or bakelite 1 7/8" in diameter on the inside.[THE WOLFMAN].

Dave, Does it look this this?

Rick

yes this the one.Thanks.

okay dave i printed the picture and will have it with me...gary k

Thanks Gary.Good luck.[THE WOLFMAN].

Sorry to hear you lost that! Maybe you can run an ad in the local paper, or mention it to the store owners in the plaza? Just in case some good soul found it?

Where Are You From? users.adelphia.net/~catart/DurantHome.html

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 75, 1927 Star M Touring

Dave... I'll also be at Hershey and will add Ricks picture to my "search for" list... Jim

Thanks I appreciate the help.Just a thought I also am looking for two front fenders for my 1928 Rugby truck.Same fenders as the star cars,THANKS IN ADVANCE [THE WOLFMAN].P.S. My cell # is 1-289-231-9653 any time day or night.

dave, just got back rom hershey...i struck out on the gas cap but will continue to search other sources,,,...gary k

HI WOLFMAN I know of a cap in clarmont ont. not far from you it is from a 29 durant 4dr. would it be the same ?? If so I can call my buddy to see if he will part with it ,you could borrow it and get butters to make one $$ BRIAN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 STAR 6 SEDAN

Hello everyone. I would pay anything to get one of those for my 29 Durant model 6-66. It has that fine treaded filler spout on it. Had my local machine shop make one out of solid steel and drove off and left it at a gas station. Maybe someone could loan one to Butters as they can make anything. Later Lance

Do You own a car built by Durant? 5 Durant made cars

Ha brian sure would be great if you could do that.I miss not driving my coupe.THANKS IN ADVANCE let me know.[THE WOLFMAN].

Sorry Dave.... back from Hershey and I didn't have any better luck than Gary! Hope you come up with something!!

Thanks guys for your time and help.Still looking.[THE WOLFMAN].

WOLFMAN and LANCE I will call my buddy this week,let you know. BRIAN

Thanks for your help.I will look forward to here from you.THANKS IN ADVANCE [THE WOLFMAN].

Dave:
My '29 Model 60 has a "Nev-A-Lost" cap on it. It threads on, and has a permanently hinged lid on it with a dog bone shaped handle that rotates to open the lid. There is also a tapped hole in the side for an allen screw, to help secure it to the car so that nobody can "accidently" remove it when the car is unattended. Let me know if you would like a photo and I will email it to you. It is a period-correct accessory, and may have also been used for radiators. these are somewhat more readily available than our original gas caps. I hope this helps as an alternative until you find the correct cap.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Ha that sounds great if you could email a photo and if you might know of one I could purchase that would be great.My email address is number1wolfman@hotmail.com THANKS IN ADVANCE [THE WOLFMAN].

WOLFMAN MY FRIEND IS AWAY TILL OCT. 17.I WILL CALL ON THE 18. BRIAN

WOLFMAN AND LANCE AND ALL MEMBERS I FINALLY GOT IN TOUCH WITH MY FRIEND BOB ABOUT THE 28 GAS CAP . HE HAS THE CORRECT CAP IN GOOD CONDITION AND WILL GET THE CAP TO NEIL BUTTERS SOON.ITS BARGINING TIME HE NEEDS SOME FRONT FENDERS FOR HIS UNRESTORED 28 DURANT 4DR. CAN ANY MEMBERS HELP HIM? I WILL GET HIM AS A MEMBER SOON HE IS A REAL HOTRODDER I TOLD HIM NOT THE DURANT OR I WILL BRAKE HIS LEGS. IT MAY OR NOT BE A GOOD IDEA TO EMAIL BUTTERS TO LET HIM KNOW THERE ARE BUYERS AVAILABLE . BRIAN

Great news.Looking forward to reciving the gas cap.Iam not 100% sure but I beleave Reg Bent may have some new old stock fenders in his attic.THANKS IN ADVANCE [THE WOLFMAN].

Hi I was thinking any news on the gas cap.

WOLFMAN WILL BE IN T.O THIS WEEK WILL ARANGE FOR BOB TO TAKE CAP TO BUTTERS BRIAN

Hello Everyone,

I beleive that I aready have a pattern for the Gas cap. If anyone is interested give me an email or call, and I can have a look. My dad and I will be at the One day Flea market, at the International Center in Toronto Ontario the first Sunday in Dec for anyone in Southern Ontario that might be headed that way.

Thanks, Mike Butters

Hi Mike. I sure do want one of those 29 Durant finetreaded gas caps please. Let me know how much and I'll send you a check tomorrow in the mail. Thank you much. BTW the 1931 Durant 619 tear drop bumper emblems really look great on the car and the curvature is perfect. Thank you much. Later Lance

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Only 5 running ones now and many parts cars

Perhaps I am missing something. I was looking at a repro book from 1931 dated 1975 that is an interchangeable cross reference of parts. Seems to indicate approx 75 % of the cars from 1925 to 30, have the same screw on cap. Ajax, Auburn, Buick, Chandler, Chrysler, Chev, Cleveland, De Soto, Dodge Bros, Graham Paige, ElCar, Flint,Perless, Olds, Locomobile, Studebaker, and so on. Durant models A22, 55, 65, 75, 60, 66, 70, 63. Model 40 and M2 share the same but a different cap. Book is called Chilton Automotive Multi-Guide, Spring 1931. The book lists the car name, year and models. I assume the only difference would be the block "D" on the cap. Don't know if this helps.
Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? not yet but after a 1932 6-14

On the subject of gas caps, the 1923 Durant A-22 (California) built car that I own has a three tang (or 3 dimples) on the gas tank filler neck that the cap screws on too...I am wondering if this is one of those factory differences as the parts book indicates this to be an internaly threaded filler neck...Like Tony I also have a Nev-A-Lost dog bone (flip top) cap.

Ha Mike I could use two,one for a spare.Will they be ready for the Toronto show.If so I could meet you at the show.THANKS IN ADVANCE [THE WOLFMAN].

Hi Guys
I was at the flea market at the International Centre in Toronto and was talking to Mike Butters, He showed me the pattern that he has for the Durant cap, looks good. He said that he would have to cast one up to figure out a price. Question should he supply it natural or painted black? Chromed?
your thoughts!
Will

Hi Gord and Mike & Neil Butters. I would like mine chrome and a chain hanging down with the typical bar so I will not lose it. Thanks much. Lance

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Only 5 now and lots of parts cars

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great words, and the interest on the Gas caps. I am glade they worked out well.

Mike

The Durant Motors Automobile Club