Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AN INQUIRY TO SID SEMPLE

TO SID SEMPLE...
HELLO SID...I AM READING ABOUT YOUR NEWER WATER PUMP FOR THE 1929 DURANT....HOW ABOUT A FEW MORE DETAILS ABOUT WHAT AND WHERE TO GET THE ITEMS USED? ALSO, DO YOU HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ABOUT JUST USING THE GENERATOR HOUSING TO DRIVE THE DISTRIBUTOR AND PUTTING IN THE MODERN GENERATOR/ALTERNATOR? OR IS THE GENERATOR ABLE TO BE MODIFIED TO PUT OUT 12 VOLTS?...WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR THOUGHTS AS I MAKE UP MY PLAN FOR THE TWO 1929 DURANTS I HAVE PURCHASED. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT...GARY KAUFFMAN

Re: AN INQUIRY TO SID SEMPLE

Gary
In a recent issue of Hemmings I saw a company that will take your Generator and convert it to an alternator using the same housing. FYI.

Mike

Hi Gary, Mike is correct. You can have your existing generator and starter rewound for 12 volt operation. I'm not sure you would benfit From this convertion. It would be cheeper a install a 6 volt Optima battery, or two wired possitive to positive and negative to negative. I have one in my '29 D60 and have had no starting problems since doing so, even after running 30 miles with the lights on and a warm engine.

HELLO DURANTONIANS,
I AM APPRECIATIVE OF THE RESPONSES AND INSIGHTS. MY INTENTION IS TO GET THE BENEFITS OF 12 VOLTS....BRIGHTER LIGHTS , DECENT RADIO, GOOD STARTING (I WILL LOOKINTO DUAL 6 VOLT IDEA) and such. at the moment i am research the concepts so i can formulate my restoration plan in advance and then proceed PREPARED TO FINISH WITHOUT INTERUPTIONS....I HOPE. THANKS AGAIN, GARY K

The Durant Motors Automobile Club