Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Durant Dealerships

Any Durantonians know of any Durant/Star dealership buildings left standing? There was one reported in upstate New York. Any more throughout the country. If so I would be interested in obtaining any pictures of them. Frank W. was compiling a list of dealerships, but we need to see what buildings are still standing. Email me if you're aware of any of them.

Re: Durant Dealerships

Did that list ever get copmplied? I recall Frank mentioning that he would send out the list to all that had contributed to it? I have a feeling that the list will never be finished, as new finds are coming along as people dig up more info, but is there something that could be sent out with what is currently available? As to your question Mike, it is my understanding that the Office Block of the Durant Motors of Canada buildings is still standing and has been placed on the Canadian Hertiage List and shall remain unmolested. I will try and get over that way and take a few photos for you to post somewhere on the Club site as a new topic of interest. Thanks

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? almost 1934 Frontenac C400

Let's go viral by posting the list on this site and asking others to add to it. Rick, can this be done?

I know of a Durant Dealership in Emeryville, CA that is still standing. Emeryville is next to Oakland and had three major auto plants at one time.

Where Are You From? San Francisco, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Vince,

Start a new post for dealerships, then I will make it stick to the top of the forum.

Emeryvile, Eh, I want to see that building.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, California USA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Sport Roadster

Our big dealership was Lea & Hawley Ltd, Bank and Laurier St's. A few blocks down Bank St was, The Modern Garage (G.S.Betts), at Bank and McLaren. Down Laurier was Campbell Ford. Only Campbell Ford is still in business but moved much further western Ottawa. All the orig buildings are long gone. My former chums father was salesman for Campbell Ford, selling A's etc and gave him heck for buying the 1931 614 sedan as a piece of junk in 1963. "Nobody in his right mind would want one of those assembled cars". Luckily that "piece of junk" still survives and on road. ha ha.

Lea and Hawley must have been a big dealership in its day and probably served not only Ottawa but surrounding country side both Ont and Que side of Ottawa River. They were reported in the papers to have done that stunt of driving a Durant on three wheels all round and outside Ottawa. I heard about that in the early 60's and their name was still well known, although long gone.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

My wife and I were touring the Gettysburg area. We found a old building in the small town of Fairfield, PA. The owner said it used to be a Durant dealership. The building is in good shape and has not been chopped up like so many other buildings of that age. The address is: 210 Main Street, Fairfield, PA.

Where Are You From? Bowmansville, PA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 touring

Let's use this as the dealership post Rick suggested. Anyone with an address and/or a picture, please post it here. Once we get a lot of info, someone can figure out a good way to catalog it.

Where Are You From? San Francisco, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Durant dealer building in Seattle WA

durantdlr-1

durantdlr-2

Where Are You From? Kent Wa

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant

There has got to be more Durant dealership buildings left in the country and Canada for sure. Many old downtown buildings are still standing. In your travels check out the buildings. Maybe Frank W. can create a list of dealerships that he has come up with and we can go out and see what is at the location now. It would be great to see some of these old dealerships.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Here is a link to the work Curtis Smith did with the Portland, Oregon dealerships. They had a lot in that city.

Rick

http://home1.gte.net/res02rxl/durant/history/dealers.html

Where Are You From? Fremont, California USA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Sport Roadster

The Durant dealership building at 111 N Westlake Ave in Seattle Wa. where my car was puchased in 1930.
This building was shown with the incorrect address
in the special interest section, but with a little
snooping around I finally found this building completely restored and functioning as a rug dealer.

The upper deck has all the original flooring and looks like it would hold a tank. The entire building is solid built and looks as though it will last another 100 years. Hope to get some pics with my car parked out front someday!

DDealer320-1

DDealer320

Ddealer320

DDealer320

Where Are You From? Kent Wa

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant

It's much to cold now for you Northerners, but when the weather breaks if anyone would like a good chance for a scavenger hunt, email Frank for any information on any Durant/Star/Flint dealerships in your area. You can also go to the local library and ask if they have an old city Directory from the 1920's earl 30's. There you can look to see if there was a Durant Dealership in your city back then. Take a day trip and see what is at the location now and snap a picture for us. Also a good source would be any old online newspapers your library might have on microfiche. I know the factory dealership in Lansing was a carpet dealer when I was there in 2007 just down the street from the plant. But the basic building was still intact.

I see that there is a "Star" brochure for sale on eBay. The seller notes that it has a dealer stamp on the reverse "E.L.Harrington, Durant & Star Motor Cars, DEXTER, Maine."
Anyone near this location, try and see what you can find.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

In my collection of Durant papers I find a colored star car for a 1927 which was given out by the Quency Car company that is located at either 1620 or 1820 Hancock ST in Quency Mass. The owner was A.A. Murphy. We got on Google Map and looked at both of these locations. Either one might be the orginal building, as both were red brick, and looked like they have been updated some. If any live in the area,you might want to check this out.

Where Are You From? Long Beach California

I have recently learned that Durants and Stars were sold by a Mr R.J Kennedy in the village of Cumberland, Ontario. He did not have a garage, nor a proper dealership building, but sold them from his house on the main street of the village. He was also the township clerk to whom many residents would come to pay their local property taxes, so he had a steady flow of potential customers. The house still stands, but I have no photo of it at the moment. I do have a photo of one of the cars he sold though, and the local Museum where I work has a STAR CAR Genuine Parts sign from the Kennedy house, similar to the one seen at Durantcars.com If it is thought to be appropriate, I will take a picture of the former Kennedy home for this 'project'.

Where Are You From? Ottawa, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? The Museum's 1929 D40 dedan

Hello Mike,

Stumbled across this post. If the list exsists I wll be happy to check out some site in Virginia.

Arthur

Where Are You From? Virginia

Do You own a car built by Durant? M 70, Deluxe Sedan

Hi All......

Our Club was recently given a partnership agreement for the Walker-Tainter Motor Company agent for Durant cars.

The address is 107 South Kansas Ave, Marceline, MO.

The agreement is dated July 1, 1922.

The starting capital was $5,000.

Frank.... ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

i live in dover-foxcroft maine (next town over) i can do a little digging for you

Where Are You From? dover-foxcroft, maine

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

While looking for property in Ellensburg, Washington, I visited the Kittitas County Historical Museum and they helped with research to find out if Ellensburg had a Durant dealer. We found there had been a local Durant dealer: Mead Motor Company which was located at 418 Main Street. George Mead operated Mead Motors from 1920 until his retirement in 1944. In the 1930s Mead Motors became a Plymouth and Dodge dealership. The 418 Main Street location now has a newer building which is a Sterling bank building. I will try to locate some old pictures of the dealership.

Where Are You From? Auburn, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Robert
That would be great. We are always looking for pictures of old dealerships. An particularly when you find one that is still there so we can see before and after photographs. Frank has quite a list now and it keeps growing. I just sent him a list of some dealerships in the Delmarva penisula area of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia.

here is an address I found on a Durant brochure.

Newark Durant Company
493 Broad Street
Newark, NJ

It's a parking lot now.

From many of the old pictures I have seen, many of the Durant/Star dealerships were very art deco and looked really great. Inside were fairly fancy kind of like the factory showroom of the Auburn/Cord/Dusenburg museum in Auburn, Indiana for those that have been there. I would think that somewhere in this United States and Canada there is one of these buildings left in an old downtown somewhere that was not destroyed. I'm calling on all Durantonians to make it a fun scavenger hunt and seek out one of these in your town. Like I said before a trip to the library/historical society should be able to provide either old newspapers on microfiche that you can look for ads with or old City Directories.

Welp, Joe Evans was the Durant/Star dealership in Wenatchee,WA at the Valley Garage 209 Wenatchee Ave. N...This Durant dealership is no longer there and has been replaced with the Coast Hotel and Civic Center...The Evans family have been selling cars for three generations and now have a dealership in another location also on Wenatchee Ave. called "Leonard Evans" who is Joe evans son who is now 80 years old, has ultimers but still shows up at work on Thursdays, however his son Jerry has pretty much taken over...I have been in the Wenatchee area since 1957 and never had the occasion to stop buy Leonard Evans until last week, and there as big as life is this full page framed Durant/Star add hanging dead center in the middle of his showroom of his fathers dealership ...Anyway, I took a few pics of the add, there is a lot of great info in the add but my camera doesn't have a wide angle lense, so these are the best I could do...Pictured in the lower right is the old Durant/Star dealership.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 touring / 29 M40 Coupe

WOW!

Wow is right Rick. Great story Bill and thanks for stopping by. I see a picture of I think their original dealership in the newspaper ad. I wonder if they have any other pictures from back in the day of their dealership? It's great to see the family is still in the car business after all those years.

Is someone going to make a list and location of all Durant dealerships and add to one of the club Information pages?

I participated in a carshow yesterday and was asked where in SoCal did they sell Durants/Stars/Rugbys...etc.

I didn't know and felt that I had let the person that asked down.

Where Are You From? Port Hueneme, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant 614 Deluxe Sedan

D.J.
Response to this posting has been slim and I expected a bit more response from DMAC members on this. Frank Witkowksi was starting a list of all dealer information he could find and I know I sent him several names of some I found and any I see on literature for sale on Ebay. I'd like to be able to find a dealership building that still exists in some city somewhere in the U.S. I'm sure that in some old downtown there is an art deco building that housed the Durant dealerships that survived and would love to get some pictures of the before and after. Some of the club members have responded and that's great. It only takes going to a library, checking old 1920's newspapers for advertisements or the old city directories to get the address and then traveling by to see what is there. It's a good Saturday scavenger hunt. Hopefully we will get some more posted here, but email Frank and he may have some in Southern California for you.

Here is an original list of Durant & Star dealerships mostly in Florida and a few in Georgia search the names on google and see what comes up!
I still need to go through the rest of the box box. It look like there should be a few more pages. I keep you posted.

-Phillip

Photobucket

I know it kind of hard to see on here so ill Email you the full rez.

im going to try to turn it into a pdf

Where Are You From? Moreno Valley Ca

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant 6-14

1329 candler building atlanta Ga is the Durant Motors or New Jersey Atlanta Wholesale office

paste that address into google earth and it will take you straight to it

Where Are You From? Moreno Valley Ca

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant 6-14

Its been quite awhile since anyone posted to this posting, so I thought I'd try to get some additional leads and information from everyone. From the list that Phil put up of Florida and Georgia dealerships, I found about 5 around Central Florida. I'm going to try and find out addresses and see what is there now, maybe find some advertising from the newspapers back then. Anyone else have any new information or photographs out there? Next time you trip down to or are near the Library, go in and you can either look at the old newspapers that they might have and find some car advertisements or look at the old City Directories they might have. I'd really like to find more dealership pictures from back then.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

A dealership building owned by Charlie Kruger at Swan Hill 3585 Victoria Australia,was relocated to the local pioneer settlement some four years ago.
The local people organized a reunion of his family and those who owned Rugby's to the function, I also attended.A large crowd of people attended the Settlement for the occasion and many past stories were told. One being was that at the local 1924 Agricultural show, (with photo's to prove it happened), Charlie jumped his Rugby off a five foot ramp to the amazement of 3000 people watching, to prove it WAS a Real Good Car.
My Father, Frank Heath told me Charlies car sales sky rocketed after that event.
Our family have lived in the Swan Hill area for over 150 years.Originally my Grandfather came from the West Midlands UK.

Where Are You From? Armidale NSW Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1923 or 24

Hi Robert
Great article, enjoyed reading it. It would be nice if more people would search out their Durant/Flint/Star Rugby dealerships and see what happened to them. I bet many of the buildings are still in existence.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

While at Carlisle I bought 2 Star Car Brochures with Dealer stamps on them:
- Waterbury & Langohr at 35-37 Robin Street, Albany, NY
Still standing and viewable on www.google.com/maps

- B.A. Wilson & Son DISTRIBUTORS. Lewisburg & Milton, PA.

Where Are You From? New England

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 Star Speedster

Shawn
Thanks for the information, Frank Witkowski has a list he was compiling of the dealerships, I'm sure he'll add these to it. Maybe someone in that area can go by and see what if anything is still standing there. I tried to find some info on some of my local dealerships but they are not standing anymore and the buildings have been raised there.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

With Google Maps Street View - if you have an address, you can see if the building is standing. The one in Albany is still there. It's a pretty neat tool and an easy way to track down the buildings if you have an address.

Where Are You From? New England

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 Star Speedster

Gary K and I have been emailing a lad in PA about 614 parts car (and who knows what else, as he mentions Star parts, Dodge parts, has no idea what the tons of parts are for) he has and he mentioned this dealer ..

My Great Grandpa was a Mechanic at Johnson's Motors in Lenoxville, PA and they sold the Star, Durant, DeVaux, and Dodge Truck new back then.

Well well search turned up this and pic of the old building
http://www.johnsonmotorsalesinc.com/

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Been awhile since anyone posted here. I know there are still a lot of Durant,Star and Flint dealerships out there that are still standing. When the weather clears or on a trip to the Library, check out the old 1921 to 1932 City Directories. They will give you an address and go by and see what it there now. Progress has torn down a large number of these buildings, but in many smaller towns I bet some still exist.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

From and Adv.in the Sunday Call, Newark, NJ April 19, 1931

Durant Motor Sales Corp'n
Central Avenue at 17th Street
Newark,NJ

Ashworth Motor Sales
102 Orange St., Bloomfield

Wellers Garage
Bloomsbury

Union Garage
246 Hackensack Square
East Rumford

Cressman Motor Car Co.
76 Prince Street, Elizabeth

Spreens Motor Sales
454 Passaic St
Hackensack

Berger & Bream
52 Valley Road, Montclair

Kopyta Motor Sales
384 So. Orange Ave., Newark

Owen A McGonnell

Triangle Motor Sales Co.
South Broad St and Newman Springs Road
Red Bank

Fichter's Garage
Main St Rockaway

Wenman Bros,., Inc.
312 Morris Ave., Summit
22 North Center St., Orange

Happy Hunting

Lew

Where Are You From? Baltimore, MD

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, A22 Touring

I have another document dated May 22, 1929, which includes " the appointment of the E.G. Irvin Motors as our distributer in Harrisburg Penn"

While this 2 page document tells that the dealer will be having a grand opening of the Durant Line on May 29th 1929, that they are currently a Kissel dealer with 8 - 10 cars on hand and what literature and other support is being supplied, it does not mention the address.

Lew

Where Are You From? Baltimore, MD

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, A22 Touring

Thanks Lewis, it's always great to find these dealerships. I know Frank was compiling a list of them at one time.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Was messing around searching and came up with this address for a Durant Dealership in Denver Colorado. When I googlemaped the location I came up with this building which is obviously what was described.

Where Are You From? Grand Junction, CO

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupe

Tom
Thanks so much for the information. We always love to see the old Durant Dealerships and what they looked like then and now.

Mike

Just been sent this one. Glenbow Museum SASK.

http://ww2.glenbow.org/search/archivesPhotosResults.aspx?AC=GET_RECORD&XC=/search/archivesPhotosResults.aspx&BU=&TN=IMAGEBAN&SN=AUTO15234&SE=1788&RN=0&MR=10&TR=0&TX=1000&ES=0&CS=0&XP=&RF=WebResults&EF=&DF=WebResultsDetails&RL=0&EL=0&DL=0&NP=255&ID=&MF=WPEngMsg.ini&MQ=&TI=0&DT=&ST=0&IR=46237&NR=0&NB=0&SV=0&BG=&FG=&QS=ArchivesPhotosSearch&OEX=ISO-8859-1&OEH=ISO-8859-1

photo nd-19-37.jpg

photo nd-19-38.jpg

Hey Norm very interesting. This was probably inside a warehouse that sold lots of items and the Durant section was just a small booth area. Kind of like a flea market space. I guess it didn't matter where they sold the cars. Didn't have to have a fancy showroom.

Hey Mike, I mentioned to the museum their date of 1920 was off since Billy was still with GM and cars not out here until later 22 for Star. Seems the photographer left Saskatchewan at end of 1924 to Alberta, so time frame is 22 - 24 range. They are changing year to 1922- 24.

Yes I got same impression it was a trade building or exhibition perhaps. Can't make out the next sign Something & Essex ??? Wonder if it says Hudson & Essex, since Essex became under Hudson 1922. Looks like son before the & .

Google search and Google newspaper archives is not bringing up Saskatchewan Motor Co Ltd. It might have before Google screwed up the newspapers archive a few years back. Lots and lots of hits for our cars and ad's US and Can before that mess. Now lucky to find much.

Here's info from an invoice on ebay showing a Star & Durant Sales & Service

Seidenstricker Bros. Garage

Dallastown PA.

Rear 211 E. Main St.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? No I own a 1933 C-400 Frontenac built by Dominion Motors of Canada

Still looking for any photographs members and non-members might have of any Durant Dealerships, now and then photographs are great! Got to be more out there!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

While at the Seattle Public Library a few weeks ago I decided to look thru the "Polk Directories" to see what I find for Durant. In Seattle 1929 I found a full page add for Durant and Star cars. The main store was located at 1600 Broadway. (I do remember that being a Pontiac dealer in the 60's) The other locations listed were: Westlake Ave, No.(The location Keith N. car came from), Sunset Durant in Ballard 5451 Leary Way, University Durant at 4740 10th Ave. N.E., Waite Garage at 2224 California in West Seattle and Airport Garage South of the city on E. Marginal Way.

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Robert N Heath
A dealership building owned by Charlie Kruger at Swan Hill Victoria 3585 Australia,was relocated to the local pioneer settlement some four years ago.
The local people organized a reunion of his family and those who owned Durant Rugby's to the function, I also attended.A large crowd of people attended the Settlement for the occasion and many past stories were told. One being was that at the local 1923 Agricultural show, (with photo's to prove it happened), Charlie jumped his Durant Rugby off a five foot ramp to the amazement of 3000 people watching, to prove it WAS a Real Good Car.
My Father, Frank Heath who witnessed the event, told me Charlies car sales sky rocketed after that event.
The Heath family have lived in the Swan Hill area for over 150 years.Originally my Grandfather came from the West Midlands Stoke/Horton/Leek area UK.I hope to attend a Durant meet in the near future to get to meet
meet many other Durantians.

Where Are You From? Armidale 2350 Australia.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes. Durant Rugby 1924 model.

Great story Bob, thanks for the input!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

There is a business card on ebay for a Harold S. Davies, Star Dealership, 605 St. Helens Ave, Tacoma Washington. It looks like the building that was there has been torn down and nothing is there now. I searched on google for the name and came up with this picture for their Service Department that was located at a different address. The picture shows mechanics working on a Star (license plate looks like this is a 1926).
http://www.washingtonhistory.org/collections/item.aspx?irn=53834&record=5

Where Are You From? Grand Junction, CO

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupe, 1929 Durant 663, 1929 Durant 666

1 2

The Durant Motors Automobile Club