Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Frame re-finishing

Did most of you Durantonians media blast your frame prior to refinishing, or use the old wire brush method of cleaning? Has anyone used the Eastwood frame paint to finish off their frame? What else has been used to get a good result?

Re: Frame re-finishing

Mike, I sandblast my both frame cars and painted it with epoxi two components of a rust protect paint and finished with another cover of same paint in black color

regards
Walter

Re: Frame re-finishing

Say Mike... good question! I've always found that a good sandblasted chassis is the way to go. I usually go to the extent of blasting a second time the next day....any missed or pitted areas seem to magnify themselves overnight. Media blasting is a good way to do thinner or newer panels but doesn't seem to get the metal as clean if it's rusted or pitted. I also never use acid dipping, I've had trouble getting it neutralized before!
Painting,That's a different story. I believe that depends on the individual and their purpose for the finished car(show, parade, ect...)! BUT, Here's the way we use to prepare the chassis for finish at the restoration shop 30 years ago.
We would sandblast and prepare each individual part.... apply primer and a light coat of black paint. We would then completely assembly the entire chassis with the exception of a few things such as brake lines and of coarse the engine and tranny... Then, turn it upside down on tall horses (keeping the horses away from the engine area) and spray the complete chassis with your paint of choice. The reason for this? When you look at a finished car... you mostly see the underside of the chassis and it has the better finish. It is also sprayed assembled,
more like it was at the factory! THE CATCH.... don't get any runs or they will be running up hill!

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flint

The Durant Motors Automobile Club