Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Going to look at a Durant

Hello,
I am going to look at a Durant for sale in my area sometime this week. I have a few questions I'd like answered before I go, and any other advice you have would be appreciated. First, the car has no title so I'd like to know where the VIN plate is and how I can identify the year and model. Second, the engine is out of the car, but is claimed to be the original. How can I verify this? Third, what are major areas of rust/deterioration I should look for. And finally, what is a good price for such a car. It's is a 4 door Landau (supposedly) sedan, the owner thinks it's a 27 or 29. It is missing the passenger runningboard but everything else, even glass, is still in the car. The rims look ok too. The roof is present in the pics he sent me, but I won't know how solid it is until I get there. It has a front seat with no fabric left, and no rear seat that I can see. Any thoughts/comments/prices, etc would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking for a 20's car to restore and I've always been attracted to the lesser known cars.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Not yet

Re: Going to look at a Durant

John,
I will try and give some info. First thing you need is a good Digital camera and take pics of everything starting from the time you look at it. The body plate should be on the right side of the fire wall,the motor look on the left side for an I.D. plate.I think the best thing to say is if the car is in generally good shape and you would feel comfortable restoring it and you can get it at a price your willing to pay.If you do get it just remember before you remove anything take a pic, label the piece clearly after you remove it,and good luck.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star

hello
i remember seeing a "landau" with an oval quarter window and it was a 1927 star 4 door sedan...very long look to it...it was in maryland....belonged to joe swann's dad, as i recall. the number plate will tell the make (durant or star) and the number will tell where it was made too...the letter preceeding it..is the factory....get wheelbase measure if you can and copy what is on that engine number plate ...especially letter and number designation like W5 or 14Lor 22A or whatever. that will help identify it..note if grille has concave upper corners or bars in the center area. all that will help i.d. the car and year.

Sadly the Durant I was going to look at turned out to be an eBay fraud. I had been bidding on one that I didn't win and I got what looked like a second chance offer but turned out to be fake. Take serious precautions everyone. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club