Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
An opinion on the recent election.

Is the DMAC a democracy? With the finalazation of the recent so called election we must take a moment to ask this question. Did you the members of the DMAC really get the proper information to vote effectively or did you take the complacent approach that so many do when it comes to a National election. In most of our National elections only a 40% to 60% turnout at the polls is realized. I bet if we can ever get a full accounting of the votes that far fewer than our 400+ members failed to take an interest in the running of our club to send in their votes. Most members only want to belong to this club to get help in restoring their cars, but when an issue of the magazine does not come on time, or the contents are not good, you choose to complain. By taking the time to study what the members have to offer and their ideas for the club, you can assure that the club will continue to run and produce an effective product. I can assure you that this is my editorial and only my opinion on this matter and although I have been called a "baby" by morons for voicing my opinion, if they took the time to know me and what I have done for the past 35 years I will put me being a baby up against their lack of courage to speak out anyday. At least I take the time to challenge what I think is unjust and take a lot of my time to try and make things better. What have you done to become active and participate in your club? In the future I hope that we never have another election like this again. The election process was biased, and the candidates were not allowed to print a biography for all to read, as well as a sufficient time for the voting to end was not posted to the members. We know that only a small percentage of members are on the internet and on the forum. It came down to who knew who and that was all. East Vs West, old Vs new. It seems so funny that those that were endorsed by the Club President were elected doesn't it? Not one of the other nominated canidates were elected. Why was that? Is it that members did not want to take the time to research the candidates on their own, ask questions, and find out where they would take the club in the future? I hope we as members learn from this and become more active in their club in the future. No matter who club officers are, take the time to email them and let them know what you think needs to be done, and how you'd like to see the DMAC run better. If you sit on the side lines and don't voice your opinion then you can't gripe when it's not run the way you think it should be.

Re: An opinion on the recent election.

It's a conspiracy. Hanging chad, hanging chad. Sorry Mike, I couldn’t help my self. By the way, a democracy means you have the right to vote or not vote. As far as complaining, you are the only one I see complaining. You complain about being called "a baby" for voicing your opinion, but in the same sentence you are calling people "morons". Let it go. It's going to eat you alive. I am not a member of this fine group of ladies and gentlemen. I do read this forum all the time. Please don't destroy it! Take a deep breath and enjoy the folks around you. You don't have to agree with everything they do or say. We all have little quarks that someone else will disagree with. Believe me I am far from perfect, but isn’t everyone. Enjoy life; don't let the little things eat at you. God loves you man. Smile; make the people around you nervous. Have a Great Forth of July.

DEAR DURANT FRIENDS,
I HOPE MOST OF YOU UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE EVERY DESIRE TO SEE THE CLUB RUN TO THE BEST OF ITS POTENTIAL. AFTER ALL, I DID GIVE BIRTH TO THE BABY.
I HAVE MET MOST OF THE PEOPLE INVOLVED IN THE CLUB'S FUNCTIONING AND HAVE FOUND THEM ALL TO BE OF THE SAME MIND AS MYSELF REGARDING THE CLUB'S SUCCESSFUL.I HAVE LISTENED TO THE DIALOGUES, READ THE FORUM COMMENTS AND EVEN PUT IN AN OCCAISIONAL TWO CENTS. SO, HERE IS ANOTHER TWO CENTS WORTH. I KNOW MIKE TO BE A VERY THOUGHTFUL AND INTROSPECTIVE TYPE OF PERSON. HE DOES NOT SPEAK LIGHTLY OR THOUGHTLESSLY. HE ALSO DOES NOT SPEAK OUT WITH MALICIOUS INTENT. HE ONLY WANTS WHAT IS BEST FOR THE GROUP'S INDIVIDUALS AND THE CLUB AS A WHOLE. I AGREE WITH HIM THAT THE ELECTION WAS
SOMEWHAT UNUSUAL OR AT LEAST, "OUT OF SINC" WITH WHAT MOST PEOPLE WOULD CALL THE NORM FOR AN
ELECTION. IT SEEMED LIKE TIMING, UNFORTUNATE OCCURRANCES, BAD MAILING, PUBLISHING STRESSES AND/OR
HEAVEN KNOWS WHAT ELSE CONSPIRED TO DISRUPT THE ELECTION'S CONTINUITY. INSTEAD OF BACKSTEPPING AND CORRECTING OR RECONSTRUCTING THE EVENT WE ALL FORGED AHEAD...INTERESTED IN GETTING IT DONE SINCE IT WAS DEFINITELY DRAGGING ALONG IN AN UNDESIRABLE MANNER.
HOWEVER, THAT SAID, WHAT IS DONE IS DONE..AND FORTUNATELY, GOOD PEOPLE HAVE RISEN TO THE CALL TO DO THE JOBS THEY WERE ELECTED TO DO. LET ME SUGGEST THAT WE MAKE ONE OF THOSE JOBS TO REFINE THE ELECTION PROCESS SO THAT WE CAN ALL HAVE A CHOICE TO VOTE OR NOT VOTE AND TO SELECT THE CANDIDATES FROM A POSITION OF KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THEIR INTERESTS AND EXPERIENCES WITH OUR CLUB.
I HOPE EVERYONE WHO READS THIS REALIZES THAT WE HAVE A SUPERIOR ORGANIZATION FILLED WITH AMAZING MEMBERS AND WE MUST DO EVERYTHING IN OUR POWER TO SEE THAT IT CONTINUES TO BE THAT WAY. BY LISTENING TO EACH OTHER AND JUDGING THE CONTENT OF THE DISCUSSIONS AND NOT BECOMING RESENTFUL BECAUSE SOMEONE HAD THE DESIRE TO SPEAK OUT....OUR CLUB WILL CONTINUE TO GROW BETTER AND STRONGER. WE ALL CARE ABOUT THIS CLUB. LET'S CONTINUE TO BUILD A BETTER MORE MEMBER-SERVING ORGANIZATION. THE TRICK IS LISTEN TO EACH OTHER AND TO WORK TOGETHER.
WITH SINCERE HOPES FOR A BETTER CLUB,
REGARDS, GARY KAUFFMAN

I would just like to say that I said you where acting like a baby and now I think your acting like a spoiled kid that didn't get his way. If your really not happy no one is forcing you to be a member just like no one made you join.

It is with intrest that I read the comments above and wonder what is going on in an orginisation that is connected with restoring the car of Bill Durant. Are there forces trying to do to the Durant car club what other did some 80 years ago to the founder. I have 3 durant , not in working order, of which I hope to restore 2 of them. I have been going to join the club as I see major benifits in gaining information, parts, contacts ant the like, but if this appearence of in fighting due to the elections is to go on I may rethink.

Future Member,

Ted Kruger

I think we all need to spend more time in the garage and less time on the computer.

Dave

Gosh, I didn't realize all this was going on! I've been too occupied with working on our two coupes and, a new project. Lawnmower racing!!
I just keep loading my wagon up,,,,,,,,

Maybe I live too far out in the sticks, but I've never seen anything out of line in the Durant Club. I've met with and visited with members from Kentucky, on west to the big pond, and have found all to be outstanding people. I just hope I can afford more "road trips" in the future.
Don

Dear mr. Rice,
You do no one a service by calling names. If you have an opinion regarding how the election was held....express it. Don't call names because someone else expressed an opinion about something that you may not have been aware of. Maybe that opinion was expressed to alert you that something was amiss... but you may have missed the message because you were too busy unnecessarily engaging in character assassination...or more likely childish name calling.
Be positive and helpful or please be quiet.
Respectfully though direct, Gary k

NOW....I SUGGEST THAT WE ALL STIFLE OUR TESTOSTERONE AND RETURN TO THE TRUE INTENTION OF THE CLUB....RESTORING OUR CARS AND HELPING OTHERS WITH THEIRS. GO TO THE NEXT FORUM LEVEL AND READ HOW TO HELP RICK BOTTI TAKE THING TO A NEW OR IMPROVED LEVEL....REGARDS, GARY K

P.P. TO CDMN....DON'T STEAL MY THUNDER....I WORKED HARD TO STUMBLE ON THE "DURANTONIAN" MONICKER.

Thanks Dave Schulte, an appropriate comment. Lets get on with normal business and put the past where it belongs. Prior to the next elections let the canidates publish their experience and how they will approach the running of the club.
Regards to all the past and new committees.
I note some apprehension from possible members, ignore the adverse comments for I am sure the intention was not to be-little the club but to stir and make us think of ways to improve. New members are needed to keep the club going as is the information we all share.

All you guys are right. Maybe I'm not really good at communicating my thoughts. What I'm really trying to say is for members to get more involved in their club. If we all take an active part it will be 100% better and Rick's job will be much easier.

Politics of many fine organizations can easily get in the way of the joy of membership. We all share a triangular interest: Each of us enjoy the wisdom of our colleagues, and the hobby of Durant made antique cars and their survival. Genuine appreciation should be expressed to those who give of their time and talent to keep the package together. Titles and power have little bearing on the benefits we all appreciate.

Ron Hast----a voice of reason...well said.

charlie spitz

All I can say is that ALL the members I have met are great people.I live in the East, and I know Mike,and Frank personally.
Lets not fight, lets just listen and let him have his opinions.
I will briefly describe the current problem and why it is hard for us in the east in particular to be satified with the elections as they were held... Lance did a WONDERFUL job as President. He handled things his own way, be it good or bad. He forwards mail to people he calls his "friends" and maybe unknowingly has split the club into "friends" and "others" (who do not see things his way.)I was on the receiving end of these emails and I know what was said.
On his behalf I applaud his hard work to build the membership, and countless hours trying to help members fix their cars. He was generous, and gave parts and information to many... the club has grown because of his contributions, and it has split it as well. It is tough to have a club that is so far spread, to know all the members and officers.

I am lucky to have met Rick Botti, and know he is a good man, and will do his best to run our club into the future. We should look forward to the future and make sure we fix the problems in the past. Before the elections it would be helpful to have a page with information about the people interested in running, so those of us who do not know the proposed candidates can read about them, and base their decision on the person, and not the current president telling everyone who HE will be voting for(printed in the newletter prior to elections)
Lets cut out the name calling... and think in a positive manner.I hold no grudges, and hope I can be part of the Durant CLub and continue to have the FUN that it is supposed to be.
Carol

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

DEAR FRIENDS AND OTHERS....
I AGREE WITH THIS PERCEPTIVE AND DELIGHTFUL LADY...ON TO THE FUTURE SHOULD BE OUR QUEST....SO LET US SALLY FORTH TO THE SEPT. MEET AND CONTINUE TO GROW AND HELP EACH OTHER.
REGARDS, GARY K

Carol.....another voice of reason.

We are too small of a club to be divided, whether it is east and west, north and south or however one sees the geography.

We need to move on. Hopefully, by the conclusion of the annual meeting in Canada, we have made this part of history.

Unfortunately, Peg and I will not be at the DMAC Annual meeting. As I have previously indicated, I have a meeting first in Orlando, then we are on to San Francisco to receive an award from the King of Sweden, and then to San Diego for another meeting.

Charlie

The Durant Motors Automobile Club