Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My axle rebuild -- progress report.

Yesterday I went down to Automotive Drivetrain (Tigard, Oregon) to see how John Lehde was coming along with the axle for my '29 D40. I've got to say I'm really excited by the beautiful work John is doing.

The six felt seals in the axle tube have been replaced with modern seals. All the bearings have been replaced -- which has been a hassle for John as it has taken him several months to find all of the required bearings. The perches have been welded to the tubes (they were loose and leaking). And, the axle shafts have been magnafluxed for defects. So, I know it should last me and future generations for a long, long time.

I haven't seen the bill yet but I know it's going to be a big one -- just for the bearings alone! But hey, that's what it takes to 'get-r-done' right.

Later, Curt Smith.

Re: My axle rebuild -- progress report.

Curt:
Isn't it great when you can get someone to do the work you want, instead of having to take what someone else wants. Glad you have a great guy to work on your Durant.
Gord

The Durant Motors Automobile Club