Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need Help/Bendix Spring?

This morning was to be a Show Day. Out at 0630 to start my 1923 A22 Durant and head for the Show. Nothing but a noise when I push the Starter Button. Found out that the big spring on the started shaft (Bendix I guess that is what it is called) Any way the end of the Spring broke off where it secures to the shaft. Which means I am in need of a replacement, CAN ANY ONE PLEASE HELP ME.
THANKS FOR ANY HELP that can be given.
Ken Brink

Re: Need Help/Bendix Spring?

Hi Ken...

Give me some dimensions on your spring and the direction it's wound, I have Hundreds of unidentified Bendix springs. May be able to help you.

My A-22 starter is still with the original owner, he knows he put it somewhere, just not sure where.So I don't have one handy to check for your.

The A-22 parts book lists the spring as part # 1861.

Frank ---

Thanks Frank
I sent you an E-Mail with what I belive to be close measurements.
Ken Brink

Now I have a very Important Question. On my 1923 A22 Durant. Be fore I remove the old Bendix Spring is there anything I should know or do in regards as to position, markings, removal ,install of new Bentix spring,etc.
I have been known to get myself into trouble when working on my Durant. Now by asking a question first may be I will save some time.

Ken Brink

Hi Ken...

Best way is to mark the position of everything BEFORE you begin dissasembly. The 2 bolts that hold the spring probably have metal lock tabs that you will need to bend to free up the bolt head. Also one bolt will be longer than the other, be sure it goes back in the same location. Other than that it's a pretty straight forward process.

If you should happen to break either the lock tabs or bolts, I do have replacements.

Hope you get the A-22 back on the road soon.............

Frank ---

I see you need a spring. I have many A-22 parts. I have a armature core with the spring on it. I can send you a picture of it if you are interested. If anyone is in need of any other A-22 parts or any Durant parts. Check my website out !!
I have free calling after 9pm EST so I can call you back. Let me know if you are still in need of this part.
Larry

Where Are You From? users.adelphia.net/~catart/DurantHome.html

Just want to say thank you to everyone that reponded to my need for a Bendix Spring. Thanks to Frank W. I had one from Frank with in 4 days from my request for help.
Thanks Frank for such a speedy reponse.
Went to a car show today, displayed some History of the Durant cars.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club