Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1933 Durant Sedan Pictures

Just posted pictures of Tim Orr's rare 1933 Durant Sedan in the Photographs section.

Outstanding Find Tim!

Rick

Where Are You From? clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/devaux/DMAC/Durant/1933%20Durant%20Sedan/index.html

Re: 1933 Durant Sedan Pictures

Boy that is a real looker of a car. We need to have Tim clean it up and get a side shot of it and send it to Terry Kulchycki up in Canada for his Durantcars website. He does not even have a 1933 listed and no 32 car pictures either. I sure like that doored hood on this car and the tilted back windshield posts. The radiator shell and grill are the same as this 1931 Durant model 619 I am restoring. The instruments are all different and of a newer type than any of our older Durant cars. Great information and pictures. Wonderful. Thanks Rick for your posting for all to see. Later Lance

Great Find

Just goes to show there are some very unique cars still to be discovered.

Since the car is in Canada, wouldn't it be great to have it at our national meet. Looks to be in real good condition. Almost too good to restore.

Frank ---

GORD OR TIM
whate is the production date and was the car built at leaside ? what is the displacement of the engine and is the trans a 4 or 3 speed?
BRIAN BOYS

The DeVaux body for 1932 was different than 31. This 33 Durant body appears to be the same as the 32 DeLuxe DeVaux sedan of 32.
The man in Minn. sent me some pictures and I have them spread out on my desk as I am writing this.
The windshield is slanted back in the same way. The beltline around the back is exactly the same. I have no bumpers to compare as the 32 DeVaux is without them.
The 32 Instrument bezel is the same as the 33 Durant. The gauges on the 32 DeVaux are gone and this is one of the items he is looking for.
That engine of the 33 Durant sure looks like the 22A.
The 32 DeVaux has one tailight.
Gary

car sure looks nice --but --2 coils ??? one on the firewall appears to be in use and one bolted to the block is sitting there --is there going to be a change made ??? Just a casual observation

Ken

The car is exactly as Tim brought it home from its 64 years of storage. Apparently Tim's Uncle had replaced the coil and did not remove the first one.
The engine is a 32 A Continental, the same as used in the 618 Durants of 1932.
The car was made in Leaside.
Gord.

Since the plant also built REOs, I wonder if the car isn't the same as the REO Flying Cloud. REO also contributed complete 1932 cars for the Franklin Olympic. They just changed the grilles and engines.
(This car definately doesn't have a REO engine.)
I have a 1933 model, but that has skirted front fenders. The rest of it might be close. Near the end of production in 1936, REO also supplied bodies for the Graham cars. (And I believe, the first Datsuns were licensed copies of the Graham.)

Do you know who built the bodies for the REO? There is one other surviving 33 Durant in Ontario. It is a Coupe. There was a paper nailed above the headliner in this car stating that (this body is #1 of 8 bodies to be shipped to Dominion Motors) I hope to get a photo of this invoice. Will post pictures of the coupe if I can after this weekend. Keith Reid promised that the car would be at our Picton Weekend. Why not come and see it for yourself?

The higher priced REO bodies, for the Flying Cloud and the Royale, were designed by Amos Northrup, who was design director for the Murray Corporation. The best I can come up with is that this "33 Durant" looks very much like a 1931 Flying Cloud body with front fenders from a 1930 model. The 32-33 were not so different, but they had triple ribbing in the windshield posts that flows down to the hood panel. They had the hood doors which was widespread in this period.

1931 Flying Cloud

1930 Flying Cloud front fender design

1931 thru 33 fenders were very different, being flared out from the radiator grille.

It seems to me, that the Canadian or export models may have lagged a year behind. This was even true of Canadian Pontiacs in the 1950s. (My dad had a '54)This allowed the company to squeeze a little more use out of the body dies and woodwork.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Rick,
I’m sending you some old sale brochure or advertisement of a company who import Rugby cars to Argentina, I was looking for this company, but they close in 1961
In addition, a musician called Juan Maglio write a Tango for piano, called RUGBY that I’m also attaching by separated e-mail to webmaster@durantmotors.com
I Think that this, are very curious things to share with others DMAC members in special interest section

By and best regards
Walter

The Durant Motors Automobile Club