Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant body?

I was enjoying the afternoon at a swap meet today and came across a coupe body for sale that was marked "29 Durant". The man that was selling it had pulled it out of creek bed in Montana some years back. It did not have the Durant ID plate on the firewall but did have a small ID plate a little lower than where we usually find ours. This ID plate said "GHC-2" on the first line. The second line was "75". Does anyone have any ideas on this identification? Gary

Re: Durant body?

Hey there. Just brought home that body and figured I'd start doing some research to see if I could find out anything else on it. The guy that was selling it is one of my car club members. He'd had it for about 10 years and was moving with no place to keep it. I took it off his hands for him.

Now I just need to locate a new cowl and drivers door for it.

Any help identifying the car based on the cowl tag would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chad

Where Are You From? www.scsdeluxe.com

Chad: The more I think about it, I don't believe it is Durant. That ID tag is the only one on the firewall and has no connection to Durant Motors. Who knows, It might even be more rare than we think.
I will be in California next week and stopping at a collection there. I will see if they have anything in their database. Gary

Thanks. Let me know if you find anything out. It certainly has me stumped. The cowl and body certainly have the belt lines of a Durant but the body is an unusual configuration. Appears to be a business coupe of sorts. I would sure like to figure out what it is though.

Would be nice if you could post a few pictures of the body. Maybe someone could identify it from the picture.

Here are some pictures, any ideas?

Here are some pictures, any ideas?

Boy, from the pictures, the belt line appears to be very similar to the 1929 D40 Durant. (Take a look at the picture of Curt Smith's car in the photographs) The windshield visor looks a little more molded. I believe most of the Durant bodies were either stamped by Hayes or Budd. This body appears to be what would have either been called a "business man's coupe" or a "Victoria Coupe" It could easily have been a "one-off" Wonder if a 29 hood would fit? Twould make a sweet car. Is there any remnant of the dash?

Gord.

nothing left of the dash.

I was hoping I could find a cowl and drivers door, otherwise it will probably remain as yard art.

Hi.
I have been looking at Durants since joining Durant Family Registry in early 70's, this body doesn't seem Durant to me. Cowl is too rounded on top. Never seen any pics in all literature iv'e read of a 5 window coupe 28-32 era. Sid

I certainly haven't been able to find a Durant model that looks like this. Cadillac and Studebaker had a similar coupe body style, but what really stumps me is the belt line. It looks very much like Durant.

Another thing about this coupe is we never had cars with the door handle in between the belt lines. Also we have never had that recessed area in the lower part of the firewall. And Sid is right the cowl is not Durant. My two cents worth. Lance Haynes

You might check the Wolverine and Mate models from REO. They also used Hayes bodies.

I did a little looking for pics of Wolverine or Mate cars, the lower priced REOs.
This picture shows a 1928 Wolverine

This picture is an ad for a 28 Wolverine

This picture is an ad for a 1929 REO Mate

You can see the similarity to the coupe body above in several features.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

wolverines listed in old hemmings vintage auto almanac as being made 1904-06, 1917-19,and 1927-28.
no more info given...gary k

The Durant Motors Automobile Club