Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DMAC Proposed Constitution and by-laws In question!

I agree with the fact that our Durant club should be on non profit status period. I hope during the next administration this will happen.

A year ago or so, Bob Porter sent me a copy of a proposed constitution instead of by-laws for the club. After studying them over, I telephoned Bob and stated why I disagreed with the proposal. I thought the proposal was dead.

I received recently another packet in the mail containing a similar constitution, instead of by-laws for the club. I have read these over a number of times and I still think the best way to run the club is as simple as we can, period. The proposed constitution is entirely too demanding of it’s directors and there is no provision for insurance to protect the officers should the club be sued due to an unfortunate happening during a club event. Volunteers are hard to come by and I am glad I have been able to help Lance get as much done as we have. He should be thanked and appreciated for what he has accomplished. I have been asked by Michael Linchicum to sign the enclosed affirmation sheet and mail the packet to Bert Babbick.

Sign THIS????? NO!

I really have put quite some time studying this proposal, and my comment to Bert as I have mailed this to him, is if this should these be adopted, I will be the first director to send in my resignation.

Bob Krause
Director Western Region.

Re: DMAC Proposed Constitution and by-laws In question!

Hi Bob,
First let me say that I am really sorry to hear of the passing of Martha and regret being so late sending my condolences. Sorry I haven't been in touch.

Prior to seeing your post on the Web Forum, I had written a draft that I had planned to post and it reads as follows:

DMAC BY-LAWS

Hope this writing doesn't cause an uproar of controversy as some other postings have done. I merely want to let you know what has transpired since we organized in 1998.

First a definition of by-laws "A law or rule governing the internal affairs of an organization." I personally drafted a set of by-laws prior to our October 1998 meeting in Hershey. They were taken from the Protocol and Procedures Manual issued by the AACA dated 1970, and revised for our use. The by-laws were later approved by the Board of Directors. Page 1 can be found on our website under Special Interest. Quite frankly they are not adequate for our current situation.

Almost 3 years ago, I talked with Bob Porter about the inadequacy of the by-laws and he agreed to draft a new set and present them to President Haynes and the Board of Directors. Bob did a great job in my opinion,but I was told that "they looked like something from IBM. The last this old man heard was that IBM was doing fairly well. Yes, you're right, we don't need IBM type by-laws, but one thing is for certain, we do need better by-laws than what we have now. The by-laws proposed by Bob Porter were on the agenda for our 2004 meet in New Jersey. They were on the bottom of the agenda and, of course, we ran out of time. Prior to adjournment 3 couples agreed to serve on the by-laws committee that was to be formed later. Later Rick Botti was asked to head up the committee and then appointed members to serve. Because of a heavy work load, he was unable to finish the task.

Bob Porter spent an untold number of hours on a project that never got the consideration it deserved. Look back over the years to his contributions to the Durant Family Registry and the Durant Partner and perhaps even the Durant Star Owners Club.

Enter Mike Linthicum... In defense of Mike who apparently blew a fuse on the Web Forum may have justification for his feelings, but should not have displayed his anger on our great website.

Mike pushed to get our incorporation papers which had lapsed. He also drafted a set of new by-laws and constitution and forwarded same to the officers and the Board of Directors. He felt they would come closer to getting the DMAC a 501(C)(3)classification (Non Profit Organization). No, this is not an endorsement of Mike for office.

Quite frankly, it would appear we should consider those written by Bob Porter since they have been in the workings for over 2 years. Consideration should be given both sets of by-laws since they had the desire and devoted their time to better the DMAC.

Please quit the mud slinging and let us all pull together. Sounds too much like Washington.... Seems we all can criticize, including myself, but are we helping with the solution or are we a part of the problem.

Yates Milton
Founder, DMAC

I have not had an opportunity to carefully and closely review the proposed by-laws.

I am traveling the next week and have some long flights, so a copy is going into my briefcase to read on those five hour flights.

There is wisdom in the postings by Bob Krause and Yates Milton. There is no need to rush to adopt the by laws, better that we take our time and do the job correctly, than have to have our successors make corrections in later years that we should have made today.

Charlie

Re: Public apology to Lance and the DMAC

Dear Fellow Durantonians,
With the hopes of not offending anyone, I feel compelled to insert my two cents.As the originator of the first Durant "club"....the Durant-Star Owners Club...it goes without saying that I have a vested interest in what happens in this "grandchild" club of my creation.
I have met in person and interected with many of the members including those who seem to be at odds at this time. I have found each and every one of them to be in total agreement with each other in one area....THEY ALL CARE VERY DEEPLY FOR THE DURANT CLUB AS IT EXSISTS TODAY AND THEY WANT VERY MUCH TO MAKE IT EVEN BETTER THAN IT IS NOW. NOW THAT IS A BIG GOAL BECAUSE WE HAVE ONE HECK OF A GREAT ORGANIZATION DEDICATED TO THE CARS WE LOVE.It is imperative that we all make a concerted effort to see beyond the individual personalities that we all possess and connect with that common thread that we all share. We are all both acceptable and irritating to others at different times. We do not all agree all the time. But we MUST converse and share our thoughts, desires and expectations openly, honestly and without fear of judgement or misjudgement by one another. Disagree if we must....but ....remember the common goal and accept or reject each others suggestions without "personalizing" the issues. Reject the suggestion, not the person making that suggestion or disagreeing with the idea presented. This forum "IS" for exchange of ideas and discussion of the club functions. We are all too far apart geographically to do it any other way.
In summary, I call on all of the members to keep my "baby" both alive and healthy. Forgive and forget and LETS MOVE ON TO THE GOOD STUFF WE SHARE....
"OUR DURANTING"
and , forgive my humor,... forget the other "CRAPO".

YOURS IN DURANTING,
GARY KAUFFMAN

The Durant Motors Automobile Club