Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Original (rear) carpet

A meticulous restoration of my 26 star has one original item, I'm told, because of nostalgia. The rear carpet in this 2 door sedan is in remarkable condition for being 80 years old, but does show some wear. Trying to detail it didn't help much. It appears to be rather thin, tightly woven/ribbed by description, and sort of an olive/dark tan color. It is a perfect pattern for new -- but am looking for any thoughts on what to look for as a replacement -- knowing for certain that any polyester content would be a sin. The front has a black ribbed rubber mat product well installed, but if the original concept included full carpet I would favor a full replacement. Ideas about where to find? Ron

Re: Original (rear) carpet

As one source for early auto carpet check out Bill Hirsch Auto, their square weave carpet may come close to what you have....Bill

http://www.hirschauto.com/

Ron: You may want to check out this site www.carestoration.com they have several links companies that supply the carpet your looking for, I surffed it and there are some really good companies listed, try Le Baron Bonnie as a starter. Good luck

Ron: I don't think the original concept was a full carpet in the car. Other members would be better advised on that than me.
My source for materials is SMS Auto Fabrics just out of Portland, Or. Doug has supplied me with vinals and mohair for years. His number is (503) 263-3535.
Gary

The Durant Motors Automobile Club