Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gas line pressure regulator

Anybody using a gas pressure regulator on their cars? If so, where can I get one? Also, what is proper fuel pressure from fuel pump to Stromberg U-2 carb.? I have been told 2psi, but can't confirm that. Jim

Re: Gas line pressure regulator

Jim,

Here is a link to the unit I purchased as I plan to add a fuel pump on the Roadster as a backup system. It was originally recommended by Bill Hoaglan and is a sturdy adjustable device. This unit handles 1-4 pounds of pressure, I found 2 pounds the best setting on the car I tested.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&part=HLY%2D12%2D500&N=115&autoview=sku

Rick

Where Are You From? store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&part=HLY%2D12%2D500&N=115&autoview=sku

That seems to be a great price $24.88 on the HLY-12-804 (1-4) psi reg...As I recall I paid nearly twice that amount...Bill

Thanks Rick and Bill, I ordered one today, I will set the pressure at 2psi and see what happens.

I use a pressure regulator from Walbro. It is an adjustable one that is factory set at 2 1/2 psi. Model # 135-631 It has 1/8- 27 pipe threads which makes it easy to connect. Any good auto parts store should be able to get one. I use this on my 14L engine with the original carb.

hello jim

here is a little trick i used on my 14L I USED A 12 VOLT IN LINE FUEL PUMP AND RAN IT OFF THE 6 VOLT BATTERY . THE PUMP HAS A SUFFICIANT FLOW RATE BUT HAS ALMOST NO PRESSURE . MY ELECTIC PUMP CAME IN TWO PRESSURES YOU WANT THE LOWEST. I ALSO PUT A FINE POWER VALVE SPRING ON THE TOP OF THE NEEDLE VALVE WHEN YOU PUT THE BOWL COVER ONTHIS WILL PUT A LITTLE PRESSURE ON THE NEEDLE VALVE IN THE CARB TO HELP STOP FLOODING .THE VACUME POWER VALVE SPRING YOU WANT TO USE IS FROM A QAUDRAJET 4BARRLE CARB USED ON 99 PERCENT OF CHEVY SMALLBLOCK ENGINES P.S IF YOURCAR IS A 26 STAR DONT CHROME ANYTHING /??? BRIAN BOYS

Along the same lines.....I installed one of the new Zenith carbs sold by the Club and bought a new pressure regulator and in line filter. My setting on the regulator is on 1 (one). The carb still leaks after removing and cleaning it twice. Could it be that I bought a Mickey Mouse regulator or what could be the problem?? Bill Hoaglen said to watch out for inferior regulators but of course I had already purchased one. Isn't the regulator supposed to quit clicking after the gas fills up the carburator bowl??

Yates

Back when I was testing the new Zenith carbs, I also tested those cheap Mr. Gasket regulators. I ended up blowing out two of them, maybe it was just todays fuel or maybe cheap manufactoring was to blame, but in the end they were a waste of money. The Holley units seem better built.

Rick

THESE CARBURATORS LACK THE ABILITY TO PUT ENOUGH PRESSURE ON THE NEEDLE THEY ARE DESIGNED FOR A GRAVITY FEED SYSTEM HENCE THE REASON FOR ASSISTANCE ,THE MORE WORN THE NEEDLE AND SEAT THE WORSE THE LEAKAGE.I AMTRYING TO FIND A SUITABLE RUBBER TIPPED NEEDLE AS A REPLACEMENT BUT NOTHING YET IF I LUCK OUT YOU ALL WILL KNOW ABOUT IT PART NUMBER AND ALL FOR NOW GIVE THE SPRING OVER THE NEEDLE TRICK A GO . JUST THINK ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP AND CHROME,O THE PAIN.
BRIAN
BRIAN

When I purchased my star it had a fuel pump on it and I always overflowed the carb. I put in a hillbilly pressure regulartor which is a natural gas valve which I only cracked open. It worked until i went back to the vaccum tank. I also have a car which some one put the electric pump in the vac. tank which looks slick.
Jan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club