Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Turlock Calif. Swap Meet Report

Before 6:00 a.m. in pitch dark, and rain, thousands of people had arrived and were standing in line to enter this awesome event. The entire fair grounds were covered in what most would describe as "junk". Most prominent other than people were the hundreds if not thousands of Radio Flyer wagons in every condition imaginable -- worse than the junk around, but surviving as the favored method of transport for the jewels being sought. After six hours of walking, and about to give up thinking of the needle and haystack theory, I found the unusual 1-3/4 inch "9" wing radiator cap and a new motometer for my near perfect 26 Star R 2 Door. It is off to the chrome shop today -- and that pocket sized item probably ended up costing $500 or more, hotel, meals, gas, all considered. There were acres of interesting cars for sale, very few in the 20's and 30's, mostly #3 or worse. It was fun and worthwhile -- but will probably stick to the wonders of this internet for any future needs or wants. Cordially, Ron

Re: Turlock Calif. Swap Meet Report

Ron:
I believe the Moto meter etc should be nickle plated, not chrome on a 1926 Star.
Glad that you found the item that you wanted. Makes it all worth while. The cost is secondary when you get the right piece.
Gord.

Ron,

Your ordeal at Turlock reminds me of my first and maybe last visit to the big Portland, OR swap meet, the main difference being that I had a flat tire that had to be fixed before leaving the motel, getting lost in Portland and then the parking around the fairgrounds was full so was directed to a cow pasture a mile away where shuttle buses were used to take us back to the swap meet, cost's totaled $30 for the wife and I just to step foot in the swap meet...The worst part of the whole ordeal was that some clown cut the cheese on the bus ride in and it was noon before my eyes stopped watering and by that time the good bargons were gone.

HELLO GORD

you were right about the nickel plating on a 26 r.I ALREADY CONFEST MY SIN TO RON JUST TO MAKE HIM FEEL BETTER I USED CHROME ON MY MODEL R ALSO . THEN I HID IT IN THE BARN SO NONE OF YOU PERFECTIONISTS COULD SEE IT .I WILL BE IN GUELPH MARCH 17 TO 24 TO SEE MY 32 AND ITS PROGRESS .
i will be in touch mac.

brian boys

Bill
I went to the portland swap meet some years ago and also parked in a cow pasture . In my case it poured rain for the whole night before and most of the day . It was a mud bog when I had to leave and a few were stuck deep . Some clown had gotten mired down and spun his tires till my truck and camper were well coated with mud --that stuff has to part plaster -dried like rock and was a bear cat to wash off . I never went back --
KEN

The Durant Motors Automobile Club