Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant ID

I have a 1930 Durant that belonged to my grandfather. I'm having trouble Idintifying. the toeboard ID plate states its a 407, but I believe it to be a 614. It has 6-wire wheels, running lights on the fenders and arrow louvers on the hood. some numbers I have found are 153624 (Lt side top of motor) 22AA605 (Rt side top of motor) 5745 (Rt aft side middle of motor) 22AA604 (Rt side bottom of motor) 77134_2 (Rt side front axle). Front axle has 7 leaf springs on top, rear axle has 7 leaf springs on bottom. It has been on blocks for about 35 years and the tires are dry rotted, now don't everybody laugh at once. The tire size is 4.75-19 to 5.00-19 is this the same as 475/500-19 when buying new tires. Ok you can laugh now. I'm sure I'll be asking alot more dumb ??????? in the future, but restoring this car is something I would like to accomplish myself since it's been in the family so long. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance

Re: Durant ID

Hi Rory. I restored a 407 and did a lot of research on the car. Special order car and no company advertising in magazines or newspapers that I can find. Now the one big distinctive difference of course is the 407 came with a big 200 cubic inch heavy-duty 4 cylinder unbalanced 50 HP W8 continental Mason truck motor. Very big crank and wide mains and super durable engine. Torque good but under powered for the car. The same size 200 cube 6 cylinder 22A continental smooth running (6 has a vibration damper on the front of the crank shaft none on the W8 4 cylinder) engine rated at 60 HP and believe me it way out performs the W8 Mason engine. The story goes people liked the Durant cars but Henry Ford had some people brainwashed that no one needed a 6 cylinder engine (course he didn’t have any 6’s) so the buyer would say I would buy one of these if it only had a 4 cylinder engine. So presto stick the big 4 Mason W8 engine in there. Same bell housing and tranny and equipment except the fan hub was lengthen to accommodate the shorter 4-cylinder engine. One other difference I found was most of these cars had the standard wood wheels and a conventional vertical louvered hood not a horizontal spear hood like the model 614 six cylinder engine car. So you stated your engine has 22A on it so that makes your car a 614. Retag your car. East coast Durant club member Frank Witkowski witfrank@bellatlantic.net has brand new after market proper blank ID tags for sale. Contact him. If there are screws in your floor mounted ID tag someone replaced it. All floor tags came from the factory nailed on the upper right side floorboard. Hope this helps you. Later.
Lance Haynes President Durant Motors Automobile Club
4672 Mt. Gaywas Dr.
San Diego, Ca. 92117
Phone 858-560-5737
Fax. 858-560-9146
E-mail: lancedurant@san.rr.com

Hi Rory. I restored a 407 and did a lot of research on the car. Special order car and no company advertising in magazines or newspapers that I can find. Now the one big distinctive difference of course is the 407 came with a big 200 cubic inch heavy-duty 4 cylinder unbalanced 50 HP W8 continental Mason truck motor. Very big crank and wide mains and super durable engine. Torque good but under powered for the car. The same size 200 cube 6 cylinder 22A continental smooth running (6 has a vibration damper on the front of the crank shaft none on the W8 4 cylinder) engine rated at 60 HP and believe me it way out performs the W8 Mason engine. The story goes people liked the Durant cars but Henry Ford had some people brainwashed that no one needed a 6 cylinder engine (course he didn’t have any 6’s) so the buyer would say I would buy one of these if it only had a 4 cylinder engine. So presto stick the big 4 Mason W8 engine in there. Same bell housing and tranny and equipment except the fan hub was lengthen to accommodate the shorter 4-cylinder engine. One other difference I found was most of these cars had the standard wood wheels and a conventional vertical louvered hood not a horizontal spear hood like the model 614 six cylinder engine car. So you stated your engine has 22A on it so that makes your car a 614. Retag your car. East coast Durant club member Frank Witkowski witfrank@bellatlantic.net has brand new after market proper blank ID tags for sale. Contact him. If there are screws in your floor mounted ID tag someone replaced it. All floor tags came from the factory nailed on the upper right side floorboard. Hope this helps you. Later.
4672 Mt. Gaywas Dr.
San Diego, Ca. 92117
Phone 858-560-5737
Fax. 858-560-9146
E-mail: lancedurant@san.rr.com

4672 Mt. Gaywas Dr.
San Diego, Ca. 92117
Phone 858-560-5737
Fax. 858-560-9146

The Durant Motors Automobile Club