Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Electric fuel pump

Have any of you added an electric fuel pump to your system with out taking off your vacuum fuel pump? Or do the electric fuel pumps put out too much pressure? I know someone is using an electric fuel pump because I saw it on the Tech page.

Thanks, Dwayne

Re: Electric fuel pump

I would put a fuel regulator on or you will have trouble with flooding.you will have to bypass the vaccumm tank.

I used an electric fuel pump o my Durant while Mike Larson was rebuilding my Vacuum Tank and agree with Mike, add a fuel regulator and set it at 1 to 2 pounds pressure. Use a low pressure pump, no more than 8 pounds pressure or you'll blow out the regulator.

Rick

Rick/Mike,
Could you let me have a supplier for the pressure regulators.
Peter

I purchased mine from a local NAPA Parts Store.

Rick

One word of caution, most of your local parts stores handle those Chineese fuel pressure regulators that are packaged by Mr Gasket and a couple of others, I have had bad luck on two of them, it seems that the rubber seals are not compatable with the gas that we use and the gas will swell up the soft parts and cause the fuel to stop flowing irreguardless or how you adjust them....Holly makes a good 1-3 lb adjustable regulator at just a little more money, they are piolet controled which is far superior to the direct spring types, the Holly has 3/8" ports so will need to be bushed to your line size, also you will need to use a fuel pressure guage to make the initial setting...I bought mine on-line but don't recall exactly where....Bill

Bill,

Good Tip Thanks. I found this Holley 1-4 pounds of pressure, is this like the one you have?

Rick

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&part=HLY%2D12%2D500&N=115&autoview=sku

Where Are You From? store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&part=HLY%2D12%2D500&N=115&autoview=sku

Yes Rick, that is the one, one of the outlet ports is not used and the valve adjusts with an allen wrench. I believe that site is where I got mine, Bill

That's good to know, I plan to add a fuel pump on the Roadster as a backup system.

Rick

The Durant Motors Automobile Club