Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
picture of W.C. Durant

I found an interesting picture of Billy Durant the other night. Go to www.autohistory.org. On the side catagories click on "Picture Galery"
Gary

Re: picture of W.C. Durant

That sure is one very big car, the page said that was Cliff Durant at the wheel. I found a lot of information on Cliff Durant's racing and flying endeavors, and even learned that he lived a short life, only living to age 45. However, I never find out how he dead.

Rick

I think this was one of the first Chevrolets that were built with the approval of Louis Chevrolet by Durant after his fist ousting from General Motors. Louis Chevrolet wanted the car that had his name to be a big and fancy one, but Billy Durant didn't think it would appeal to the masses and challenge Ford. Durant wanted to make a smaller car. Eventually this would cause Louis Chevrolet to get fed up and fade out of the picture and return to racing, his fist love. As the sales of Chevrolet grew and grew Billy Durant started using Chevrolet to buy up shares of General Motors, until he had controlling interest. By doing this Durant again went to the top of GM for the second and last time until his ousting in 1921. He then created Durant Motors. FYI

Cliff passed away Oct. 30th, 1937, at age 46. He had just returned home from dinner in Oakland, Ca., he died of a heart attack and is buried in Forest Lawn Memorial Park.
Bob

The Durant Motors Automobile Club