Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
looking for

I am repainting my 23 star. I am looking for the webbing that is on the edge on the cowl under to hood and in back of the radiator housing.I would like to use new webbing and rivets . does anyone out there know where I might locate them?
thanks
ed

Re: looking for

Ed
Check out the posting under Window Felts for the address and phone number for Restoration Supply. They should have it. Missed you at Hershey, hope to see you in the Spring.

Hi Ed, I can't help you out with the webbing but I was wondering if you still have the side curtains that I can use as a pattern to have some made?

Ed,

The correct term for what you are looking for is Hood Lace or Lacing.
Restoration Supply in San Diego has sizes from 1/4' wide to 2" wide. Price is $.80 to $1.25 per foot. They also have double bead but I dought the Star used double bead.

On my 1927 Star, the lacing is fasten to the cowl with flat head 6-32 screws and square nuts. On the radiator shell it is fasstened with brass spit rivits.

Restoration Suply number is 1-800-306-7008. They also have brass split rivits, 6-32 square nuts but no flat headed screws with slotted heads. Don't use Phillips head screws on any prewar car.

Bob

OK, I've been putting off correcting mine, too. What is correct for 30-31 Durants? is the 6/32 bolt/nuts aand split rivits???
Might as well do it right and get rid of my nylon webbing temp fix.
Wayne

My guess is that Durant cars would be the same as the Star. I believe the reason for the bolt is that it also secures the metal band between the cowl and the hood lace. At least that is the way on the 27 Star. It would be difficult to get a goot tight fit with split rivits to hold the metal band tight. When the flat head screws are tighten properly the flat head pulls down flat and slightly below the surface of the hood lace and won't scratch the under side of the hood. The best method I found is to start at the top center. Take a good sharp awl and punch a hole thru the center of the lacing and secure it and then move to the next hole. It is dificult to punch the holes in advance and get the proper spacing. You can use a tublar rivit tool to tighten the split rivits. The tool I am talking about is pliers type tool with a round surface for the head and a round tip that spreads the tube of the rivit. Spread the rivits with a screwdriver and then use the rivit tool to get a good tight fit and get the head recessed into the lacing.

Bob

The Durant Motors Automobile Club