Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Export Durants

Anybody know what factories produced Durant and Star (Rugby) cars for export?

I have a fellow in Argentina who is trying to discover where his 1930 614 was made. He does not have a data plate or a serial number to go by.

Are there any unique items on these cars to help identify? My parts books show that cars bound for Cuba used a different generator, wonder why.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks.........Frank [:)s---[:)s]

Re: Export Durants

Thats interesting Frank. My roadster came from argentina to the UK about 4 years ago. I didn't know there were any different items on these.Being in the Uk where there are not too many Durants i don't get to see them to compare so would be interested in anything you find out.if you need to ask anything about mine just let me know.
regards Barry

Hey Frank, Leaside, Canada exported quite a few cars to Australia and other countries. I think it was easier for them due to tariffs, taxes etc.

Frank,

It's my understanding that Leaside exported cars throughout the British Empire while cars built in the Elizabeth plant were exported to South America and Europe, While Oakland cars were exported to both South America and Asia. Argentina could have received cars from both Oakland and Elizabeth.

Rick

A good part of the Rugbies imported in Argentina where manufactured in Elizabeth plant, or at least have an E in the body serial number. Most of them where touring models. Have got in contact with more than 80 existent vehicles and almost 80% are touring, 12% trucks and very few of other models.The majority between 24 and 29 and with Rugby sign, very few with Durant name.
Also found that there are some small differences in US equivalent models, as per sales brochures, and those exported to Argentina.

Ricardo

The Durant Motors Automobile Club