Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help!

Hey - need a quick help! 39 people read my post from a few days ago, but NO replys. On my '24 F Star - what is the correct amount of oil? And, if the wire "gauge" doesn't seem to work (float probably NG,) what is the best way to check it? Someone please give me a clue. Thanx, KC

Re: Help!

When I built my W5, I started filling the engine with the timing cover removed so I could see the oil level as I added oil. 4 quarts came just above the bottom of the pick up screen. 5 quarts covered the screen nicely but was still below the crankshaft throws.
The oil level float which is cork, and made from a certain tree bark, will likely be saturated. A new replacement will be nessesary. It will have to be dissembled from the bottom end by carefully unbending the wire to free the float.The float tube is just pressed into the bottom of the crankcase and can be easily removed to reveal the float. Fabricate a new cork using the same dimensions as the original. This is a messy job as the wire cannot be romoved from the engine to do this repair.
Good Luck!
Don

Re: Help!

Don-
Many thanx - know I could count on a Texacan - been married to one almost 46 years! Anywho - do appreciatge your help - will give it a bit more oil - fire it up and stand aside! Best wishes - Ken

The Durant Motors Automobile Club