Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pulling rear wheels.

Could somebody tell how to remove the rear wheels from my 1928 Durant D65. I don't have the proper puller and was wondering if there are any safe methods availible.
Thx lawrence

Re: Pulling rear wheels.

Lawrence. The safe and proper way is to get a threaded hub puller that screws onto where the hub caps screws on. I had Kenyon Machine shop (Here in San Diego) custom make me one. It looks like a real heavy wall piece of tubing threaded inside and a thick about 1” plate welded on one end and a threaded hole for a large ¾” bolt in the center. Screw in on in place of the hubcap and tighten up the bolt in the center real tight and hit it pretty hard with a sledgehammer and keep tightening the center bolt and hitting the bolt till the wheel comes off. Always works. Course don’t forget to take the axle nut off first. BTW our 28 and 29 cars have two different sizes of hubs and hubcap thread. My car is a model 66 Durant 1929 and is the larger one. My puller will work on all the wood wheeled 30 Durant cars too. Later Lance Haynes

Thx Lance
I'm on the case as far as obtaining the puller goes. One thing I forgot is what is the proceedure for installing the wheels. I would imagine that this is critical.
Thx Lawrence

Thx Lance
I'm on the case as far as obtaining the puller goes. One thing I forgot is what is the proceedure for installing the wheels. I would imagine that this is critical.
Thx Lawrence

Lawerence,

I think it is better to leave the axle nut on but loosen it enough so there is space between the nut and the surface it tightend on but doesn't protrude past the end f the axle. What this does is allow you to straighten the threads if you happen to deform the end of the axle.

Sometimes the hub is really frozen to the axle and you have to try to give it a squirtor two of pentrating oil maybe several times. You can also apply heat but remember to watch that you don't catch the wooden spokes on fire.

Bob

The Durant Motors Automobile Club