Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starter switch problems 1928 d65

I have had a problem for some time with my battery going flat. At first I didn't know what the problem was. I Know now that it is my starter switch. I have since by passed it and start with the crank and there is no problem. Measuring the resistance to the switch I find that the switch is partialy grounded. I think due to corrosion over the years.
I tried to remove the switch by first removing the 2 mounting bolts. However I cant seem to remove the foot pedal from inside the car.Can somebody help me understand how to remove this switch.
I plan to take it apart and clean it.
Any help at all would be great.
Thx Larry

Re: Starter switch problems 1928 d65

Lawrence:
The good news is that you can get a brand new replacement switch for very little money. They are on Ebay all the time, and fit many other makes of car.
You should be able to withdraw the switch from the floor after you remove the cables from the engine compartment side, and the bolts through the floor.
Good luck.

Tony's right, you can find new replacements very easy. In fact I have the part numbers on the Tech page or see link below.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/durant/Tech/Durant%20Ignition%20Tune-up.PDF

I purchased a new switch from my local Napa auto parts store.

Rick

Where Are You From? clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/durant/Tech/Durant%20Ignition%20Tune-up.PDF

Tony and Rick
Thanks a lot for your help. I have a Napa parts outlet here and would really like to get the part number if you would be so kind Rick.

Thanks Lawrence

Lawrence,

Click on the mailbox icon to the left, then click on the your Webpage link. That will bring you to a page with all of the ignition part numbers for both 4 and 6 cylinder engines. You can then print it out and take it to Napa.

Rick

Where Are You From? clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/durant/Tech/Durant%20Ignition%20Tune-up.PDF

Thanks Rick I have the list in hand and am heading out the door to the Napa Store.
Lawrence

The Durant Motors Automobile Club