Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'25 Star Touring rr. body tub

Does anyone know if the rear body tub was changed from '24 to '25 F Touring ? I picked up one off of a '24 from Don Shilling and it doesn't match mine. The rear corners on mine are rounder and the hight in the rear is wrong, mine is 1 1/2 in lower across the back.
The center spread of Durant's Standard vol 18 Aug 1993 Number 2, shows a sales brochure without a date.
It has the '25 Star emblem, W5 motor, 30 x 3 1/2 tires and mentions new bodies. Did this happen before '26? Glenn

Re: '25 Star Touring rr. body tub

Hi Glenn,
Are the 30 / 31/2 wheels "clincher' type rims,
I am tring to date my car, 1926 Rugby "M" and wonder if my "clincher" rims are standard.
Did the sales article mention tyre /rim style?
Wayne down under.

Hi Wayne,the specs. show "TIRES;30"x3 1/2" all around.Open models, non skid clincher; closed models, straight-side cord." Hope this helps. Glenn

I don't guess anyone has an answer to my inquiry so the next question is " does anyone have a rear body tub for a 1926 star touring car ? " Glenn

Hi Glenn....

What is it you need. I have a 1926 Star M touring, see picture in photo section.........

Frank ---

Hi Frank, I'm still trying to identify my rear body tub. Do you know if the '24 and '25 rear body tubs are the same, or are the '25s like the '26? My old tub is a 3 piece with the connecting channels vertical on the back of the tub. Is your '26 like that? Glenn

There is a good photo of the back of a '25 in the photo section. It looks like the one you describe that came from a '24. I have some good photos of a '24 that I could send you copies of, if that would help. I am trying to fix up a '24 touring but am missing lots of parts, including the tub that you are referring to. I noticed in the photo section a few body differences; '23-no door handles, my '24 has handles, '25 has handles, '26 no handles, then '27 has them again.

Hi Hal,the '24 and '25 both had models with and without handles. The standard Touring Car had no outside handles but the Special Touring Car had the handles. I must have had bad info that the '24 & '25 bodies were the same. I now have a '24 tub that won't fit my car & I need one like the '25 in the photo section. Anyone out there have one available?????
My '24 tub in good shape is For Sale. Glenn

My parts book search shows the same Standard touring body (part# 21273) to fit all years of the "F". The Special touring body (21485) only shows up in my 1924 "F" parts book. It should still be the same part number for 1925.
Do you suppose the rear tub style depended on whether the car was equiped with outside door handles or not? This has not occured to me before as I forgot the Special Touring in the "F" models.

Glen, If you cannot resale the rear tub and we can get back together, I'll be more than happy to refund your money on the tub.

Don

Hi Don, that is a good thot, perhaps the touring & special touring are different? All my sales brochures show the same lines tho. I thot I read somewhere that in '25 Durant started a new body in the middle of the year without telling his dealers? Anybody know? Don I think that the tub will move from here, but if you hear of someone looking, let me know. Thanks Glenn

Glenn-
I might be interested in your touring tub. I guess that a lot depends on where you are and what you want for it. -Hal

Hi Hal, I'm emailing you direct with info. Glenn

I can verify what Don and Glen have said about the part number and the presense of touring cars with and without door handles. My Repair Parts Price List effective June 1, 1924 list #21273 as a complete touring body and a seperate number for the special. Then it gets interesting with #21448, 21449 listed as touring doors (l&r) but I can't find a special door which would have a door hole. Ther is a 21452 door handle for a touring special and there are seperate upholstery for a touring and a special. It all can get confusing.

In Argentina, I have seen 27,28 and 29 tourings with and without handles. That issue has not been helpful for me a refference to define model, as may be radiator grille or 4 wheel brakes, etc. I do not imagine people adding handles to a touring as they did with shock absorbers or cowl lights or front bumpers.

Ricardo

I have found a man in Tucson willing to make me a new
rear body tub, so the '24 tub I picked up that is wrong for my car is definately up for sale ! Anyone out there need one or know of someone looking ? This tub has the bottom flange that nails to the underside of the frame rusted thru in spots but other than that it is in real good shape. This is for a '24 and early '25 Star touring. Glenn

The Durant Motors Automobile Club