Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
30 Durant Hubcaps

I am checking on having the 30 Durant wire wheel hubcaps reproduced by the gentleman from Argentina who posted a message here on the web forum about the 29 Durant hubcaps. Is there any interest out there? I don't know the price yet but the price on the 29's were very reasonable $282 US for a set of six.
Thanks,
Dave

Re: 30 Durant Hubcaps

Hi Dave......

If these are the Durant wire wheel caps with the crest put me down for 2 sets......

Frank ---

Are the '30 wire wheels a 6" hubcap hole like the '31s?
If so I'm interested
Wayne Farrand

Definitely YES--I also checked into the vcaps and found they are 29s --peter said he would see what could be done --I would like 4 caps
Ken

I'm pretty sure there are 2 sizes of hubcaps but I'm not sure what they are. Did the wheels without snap rings use the smaller hubcaps? Gord and Ross can you shed more light on this? Dave

Hi Dave. I got 6 of these 6 & 5/8th size caps from Peter in Argentina a couple weeks ago and they look pretty good. These are the 1929 design but most of the 1929 cars had a small center 3 & 5/16th” and that wheel has the snap ring on the inside. So we are using them on a 1930 rumble seat deluxe coupe Durant 614 with 6 wire wheels. Paid $300.00 including shipping and exchange rates of our money and Paypal fees for the 6. They are not quit as good as Butters but a lot less money. The guy is real fast too. He basically just made his own mold off a old one he had. They have a few little tiny imperfections on them but that makes them look original. I have three left over if any one needs them. $50.00 each plus shipping. I am having handles made by him now. I’ll let you know how they turn out.
Later Lance Haynes

OK guys, the two sizes are 6 inch and 6 5/8 inch diameter. I have one of each and will contact Peter about making both sizes. Dave

Count me for a set of the 6 inch.
Wayne Farrand

Hi guys:
What is the difference in the wheels, to have two different openings. I always new that there were two sizes. Is one the 6 lug wheel and the other the five lug wheel? The six lug wheel has the larger centre piece and it hides the complete brake drum, the 5 lug wheel has a smaller centre part and does not completely cover the brake drum. The Frontenac with 18" wheels uses a 6 5/8" diameter cap.
Gord

Gordon:
I've never seen the large hole wheel, but my 31 came with the 6 incher and it's a 5 lug. Hub covers the drum, 40 spokes. original hubcaps are like hen's teeth. i have one - no chrome and lots of cracks and dents.
Wayne

Hi Guys, My 1930 614 has 5 lug,71/8 inch hub cap hole. I have had these repro'd here & they are beautifull.
Sid

Maybe I should stste that my hubs are 6 5/8 in diameter --I would like 4 caps if they have the durant emblem on them. I am even thinking of getting the others if these are not available
Ken

I'm shipping out the hubcaps that Peter will use for patterns today. He has agreed to make both the 6 inch and 6 5/8 sizes.To order hub caps contact Peter at:

Pedro Lucio Marta
Arana 115
(1609) Boulogne
Pcia. de Buenos Aires
Argentina
infoolma@olma.com.ar

Dave

Hi Dave. Are any of those caps you’re sending the 30, 31 shields like cap that a lot of us need? I don’t like running this 29 design on a 30 car. Course the opening is 6 & 5/8ths” so we would need him to have one of those to copy. I only have one 1930 shield cap but it only measures a hair under 6”. Does anyone have a &5/8ths” cap? Did Durant make a 6&5/8ths” shield type cap for the deluxe cars we have? Thanks Lance

Lance, The hub caps I sent are both the 30-1 shield type hubcaps. One is the 6 inch and one is the 6 5/8.

Dave

Hi Dave. That’s great. Can’t wait to see one of those. We need 6 of those babies for this 30 rumble seat deluxe coupe. Thanks for all your help. Also thanks for that great article and picture of Clifford Durant. Got it today. That article is extremely interesting. I’ve never seen information so detailed about him and his cars and the amounts of money he spent on his racing cars. I’m going to make a bunch of copies and hand them out at the annual meet in Santa Rosa next week. Thank you, thank you. Later Lance

My 32 Durant will have 6 5/8" caps. I'll have to order some.
That leaves me with 9 of the 6 inch hubcaps. What a problem!!!
A friend said I would have to change from the 5 stud wheels to the 6 stud so that he can have those wheels-----I said OK
Soooo---what are 6 hubcaps of the 6" size worth.

The patterns for both the 6 inch and 6 5/8 hubcaps have reached Argentina. If you are interested in purchasing a set of either or both contact Peter.
Thanks,
Dave

The Durant Motors Automobile Club