Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spring Pads

I hope to produce NOS rear spring pads, as well as the front pads now available. Rear pads will cost $12.00 per pair. The front pads are $11.00 per pair. Please let me know your needs ASAP.

Thanks
Mac

Re: Spring Pads

Shall I assume that spring pads are the same for all models? I have a '28M2 abd will need to replace the pads.

Thanks

Mac, I am embarrassed to ask. I have a 1928 M-2 Durant. What are spring pads. If they are the small slightly wedge-shaped rectangular spacers between the axle and spring, then I only have them on the front axle where the bottom of the spring rests on top of the axle. I have none on the back where the spring is held below the axle housing. If these are supposed to be in the rear, I can see that they would be beneficial in that the back of my car could be a fraction of an inch lower to the ground. This all being correct, I would like to get a pair of pads for the rear. Fritz Kuenzel

Hi Lou
I believe the pads are pretty common to many of our cars. I have had no luck in finding written information concerning which years used the same pads but have asked several of our Club experts to comment. Once I have received the pads from the manufacturer, I can send you photos so you can make a more informed decision. I should have this to you within the next couple of weeks.
Thanks for your patience. If anyone knows the answer to Lou's question, please advise.

Mac Irvine

Hi Mac,,,,

When you get your parts book, look on page 11.

Part# 22341 front spring bumper fits M ,M2. M4, 40, R 55, 60 and probably many other Durant & Star cars

Part # 23237 rerar spring bumper fits, M2, M4, 40, R and probably many others

Hope this helps everyone

By the way the W5 motor cushions are shown on page 6 and are part # 23586 applications on page 7

The door bumpers are shown on page 86, part # 1591 many applications listed on page 87

Frank

Thanks a lot for the info, Frank. I, along with many other members, are looking forward to getting your parts book.

Mac

Hi The wedges on front axle Fritz refers to are castor wedges. They are used to obtain correct castor. They are not used on rear axle. Correct castor gives good steering and stops the dreaded wheel shimmy. Of course camber and toe must be correct. I believe the spring pads Mac is reproducing are the rubber blocks that attach to top of axles. They absorb some impact if car hits big enough road hazzards that bend springs excessivly. Modern shocks are a better way of dealing with bumps.
Regards Sid

Thanks MAc,

I only need front pads as the M2 model only had them on the front springs. The arc of the rear springs is so great there is no chance they could ever bottom out.The fronts attach via a square clip with beveled sides which hold the rubber insert. Chese clips are held in place by the center bolt of the spring. The pads have a center hold to accept the nub of the center bolt. I jave one of the inserts areond here somewhare which I'll try to locate for an approximate measurement, although it is one of the originals and will have shrunken somewhat.

Lou

Thanks, Lou.
What you describe fits exactly the NOS parts I am having produced. I was able to provide the factory with an original pad in pretty good shape as well as one of the metal retainer plates. I have added your order for a pair of front pads to my list and will let you know when they arrive from the factory.
Thanks

Mac

Hi Mac and Lou

If you look on top of your rear axle and find a recessed hole between U bolts, rubber bump stops can be fitted
Sid

Yes, thanks for the info, Sid. Fortunately, my '29 still had its original pads. It was a chore trying to pry them out of the recesses. I managed to get one out in just three pieces, glued it back together, and used it as the master.
I hope to have my NOS pads available soon.

Mac

Thanks, Mac. I'm good for two fronts. Following Sid's suggestion, I looked carefully at my M2's rear u-bolt brackets. There are no recesses. I do have an M2 parts book which referenced front spring bumpers, but no such entry for rear springs, confirming my belief that M2 for 1928 did not have same.

Thanks,

Lou

The Durant Motors Automobile Club