Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Steering wheel

I want to remove the steering wheel from my Durant 60. Is there a special tool I need? Any help would be appreciated. I am also looking for a good bracket that would hold my cowl light on. It is for the left side (drivers side). I have the original but it had been broken at one time. Thanks.

Re: Steering wheel

Al, I remember that it was easy to pull the steering wheel from my 29 model 60. After I removed the retaining hardware, I just gave it a good tug and it came right off. Of course I may have been lucky.

Rick

Some of those steering wheels can be tight, for my early Durant I made a puller out of some odds and ends that I had laying around...What I used was a large nut that had a slightly larger I.D. than the steering column, then sawed an opening to form a horseshoe so that the nut would slip over the column, then I attached two opposing studs that when the unit was in place that the studs would clear the spokes and extend up past the threaded portion of the steering shaft, then I used the "strong back" part of a conventional puller to straddle the studs at the top end...I think that a similar horseshoe puller may be on the market or at least was 50 years ago...Hope this helps...Bill

Al:
If you have all the broken pieces, Michael Butters, of Cobourg Ontario can reproduce you a new one that will be stronger than the original.
nbutters@eagle.ca
He does good work.
Gord.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club