Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vacuum pump

I have been fighting with my vacuum pump system in my M2 1928 Rugby. The Stewart is the model without levers. Gas flows from main tank to vacuum pump, but gas do not flow evenly from vacuum tank to carburetor, it flows, but after a long while carburetor gets out of gas, as if the flow is not enough. All piping is clean and gas and vacuum valves of the Stewart lid operate correctly. I think that flapper valve do not seal enough, or that vent hole of outer shell is not big enough. In my model, the vent inlet of the vent valve does not connect to the environment as shown in manuals, but connect by means of a copper tube to the outer shell, and the outer shell has a vent connection.
My questions are, how much tight should seal the flapper valve and how big should be the vent hole.
Sucking with the mouth vent valve after closing the gas discharge valve, some sucking from vent valve is observed, flapper valve should not leak at all?
Gas flows neatly from the main tank to the vacuum tank, noise is heard clearly still after the engine stops for lack of gas.
Somebody can give an advise?, no local repair for this system and not very practical to send it to repair to the US as I am in Argentina.

Re: Vacuum pump

have you checked at the tank to see if the tube in the tank is good or that you are not sucking air at the copper tubing and tank connection?

I had the same problem with my car starving for gas and it turned out to be the screen on the inlet to the carb was plugged. After I cleaned it the problem was solved.

Mike/Bill

Thanks a lot.

Ricardo

Check out http://hudsonsuper6.tripod.com/ There you will find a S-W vac tank repair manual

LEw

Where Are You From? hudsonsuper6.tripod.com/

Thank you very much Lewis, I will study the document thoroughly.

Best regards

Ricardo H.Colombo

Ricardo:
I published two articles in the Durant Magazine, do you have them. I can send you electronic copies.
Jan

Sory Jan for my late response. I have not seen your answer. Based on all the advises and available documents, and a lot of perseveration, my Stewart is working nicely.

Best regards and thanks

Ricardo

The Durant Motors Automobile Club