Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ignition Switch Wiring.

I have had to abandon the idea of using the original switch on my 30 Durant. The switch on the 30 was built into the coil and efforts to get the old switch repaired proved useless. I bought a switch for a Model A Ford (sorry gang) that has 2 terminals. Would someone give me a dumb mans version of how it is wired. I believe there is one wire from the amp meter to the switch and that wire then connects to the plus terminal on the coil. Is that correct and where does the wire go from the other terminal?? Thanks Rick, I got the switch from Smith and Jones in Columbia,SC.

Yates

Re: Ignition Switch Wiring.

Hi Yates. Your half way there. Just run the wire from the - side of your coil to the one and only electrical terminal stub protruding from your distributor. Make sure you have a good new condenser that also connectors to the same terminal. You also should watch for a coil that doesn't need a resistor as some of them do. Hope this helps. I want a ride in that baby in Sept. in NJ. Later Lance

Yates
There is a very good wiring diagram in the tech page on the 1930 6-14... In addition to what Lance has mentioned, the 3rd wire that was connected to the old original coil simply controls accessory power to your guages...Just put that wire on your new switch with the wire that goes to the coil, that wire should already be fused... Our tech page is surly helpful, Thanks Rick and all who have contributed....Bill

Thanks Lance and Bill,
Bill I have the diagram you mentioned and have about worn it out. Here is what I did:
1. Ran a wire from the ampmeter to one post on the switch.
2. Ran another wire from the switch to the + side of the coil.
3. Ran the accessories wire that normally goes to the 3rd post on the coil to the same post on the switch.
4. Hooked up the wire from the distributor to the - on the coil

Do any wires go to the other post on the switch. I must have a short somewhere because as soon as I plug the wire from the dist to the minus it goes to discharge on the amp meter and the switch has no effect. I have to disconnect a battery cable or remove one of the coil wires.
Any ideas??

Yates

Yates

Yates,
If you have a simple on-off 2 post switch that you are using, just connect the ampmeter wire as a power source to one post on the new switch(BY ITSELF) and connect the coil + wire WITH the accessory wire to the other post...When the switch is OFF there should be no draw and no power to your coil or gauges...When the switch is ON you may see the ampmeter discharge somewhat providing that the points in the distributor are in the closed position...It sounds like your power source may not be on one terminal by itself.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club