Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
boyce motometers

Does anyone have insight into problems with a motometer? If the vial is filled to the top with red, is it possible to get it to the bottom where it belongs? If no red appears where did it go? what is the material that seals the bottom, it crumbles like graphite? Have a couple meters with different problems, hoping to get one to work for a club member. thanks Bob

Re: boyce motometers

Hello Bob I had the same problem when I first purchased my 1923 A22 Durant. The red was stuck up at the top. The Old Durant Standard had given info on getting the red out. I didn't try it, but after leaving the Moto Meter on the Rad, and running the car on a few runs, between the heat and the vibrations the red started to move down and it has worked ever since.
Ken

Bob:
I understand that you can just keep tapping athe bottom on the table or such like and eventually the red fluid will go down. What put it up there was too much heat. I am not sure of the material that holds the thermometer in, but would sure like to hear how to completely overhaul one of these meters. We have parts of two, but neither one appears to work.
Anyone out there have experience?
Gord.

The best way to get the liquid back down into the bottom is to use centrifical force. I have used two methods but I am sure that some one can come up with their own approach. My first attempt I removed the rear tire from a bicycle and put the meter through the valve stem hole with the meter on the inside. I then mounted the bike on a stand which would allow me to pedal without going forward. The rotation of the wheel created enough force to throw the fluid outward. The next time I did it I put a disk on the headstock of my lath and mounted the motormeter on the disk so that when it spun it created a spinning force.
Jan

I replace the thermometer in my motometer several years ago and wrote an article on the procedure in the Durant Standard. I will see if I can find it. I found a replacement thermometer but don't recall where I got it. It seems to work well enough to let me know if the car is over heating. I used powdered graphite around the bulb and resolder the little disc at the bottom of the tube.

I wonder if placing a motometer with the fluid separated in a frezzer would cause the fluid to go back into the bulb?

Bob

Bob, I have 2 extra thermometers that have fluid up to top. All 3 of us sat in freezer all night. No luck. Now I have a cold. Gregg

Hope you get well soon Greg...Restoration Supply Company lists individual parts for Boyce motometers including thermometers in their catalogue, I am sure that they are a knock off so don't know if they will fit the originals but this may be a possiability...I understand from previous postings that the company has moved to San Diego....Bill

The thermometers Bill mentioned that Restoration Supply has won't fit the junior size that most of our cars have. The ones RSC has are for the senior size. Model A catalogs show replacement thermometer which should fit our size motometer. The also have motometers you might be able to use, just replace the Ford dial plate with the Durant or Star dial plate.

In the catalog I have the thermometer is $21 and the complete motometer with wreath or plain rims is $38. If you have a friend with a Model A you may want to make a comparision. I would guess that Boyce made most of the motometers.

Bob

Where Are You From? Panama City, FL

Hi, guys there is a supply company called Vintique inc
they are a reproduction auto parts supplier who do make a Durant reproduction moto meter small size no large size available? I hope this helps , I paid $95.00 cad for it but this is a us firm so it should be cheaper there .

The Durant Motors Automobile Club