Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6-14 colours

Hi
At the stage of putting colour coats on some parts of my 1930 6-14 deluxe. Can anyone tell me if originally
1 dash board is body colour or black or any thing else ( i have painted instument backing plate black )
2 side mount spare wheel brackets black or body colour
3 section in bottom of radiator shell ?
I have decided on maroon body, black guards & aprons & black roof. Will send photos soon.
Thanks Sid

Re: 6-14 colours

Sid:
To the best of my knowledge, all of the parts you have listed should be black. The black on the fenders (guards) aprons, Stanchions etc. was baked on enamel. This part of the chassis went through the bake oven. The Body, having so much wood, was not able to survive the high temperature of the bake oven and was painted with nitrocellulose lacquer, or previosly to this, a type of Varnish.The bodies, completly painted, with upholstery, where usually assembled on the second floor of the building and the "body drop" was an inclined conveyor from the second floor to the first floor. Hope this long answer assists you.
Gord.

Re: 6-14 colours

Thanks very much Gordon,that confirms my thoughts
Regards Sid

The Durant Motors Automobile Club