This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Chris or Andy?

Here's a poser for you guys?

Chris Overland or Andy Barnett?

Different styles but who do we prefer?

Re: Chris or Andy?

A rather pointless question in my humble opinion.

Chris was a great guitarist and was instrumental in the sound of FM in the early days. He took the decision to step away from the limelight and he's to be respected for that.

Andy is a totally different type of player and took over the mantle and helped move FM onwards to where we are today, waiting for a new album.

I think it's unfair on both guys to ask for a preference as either may read this board ... we don't know.

I'm on the Marillion forum and the amount of times somebody pipes up with who's better, Fish or Steve Hogarth is crazy and all it does is stir up ill feeling between fans of the band. Personally I'd rather that didn't happen here but I'm not in control of what can be said.

Sorry but that's the ramblings of a slightly hungover me!!!!!

Dear Trooper..

"Sorry but that's the ramblings of a slightly hungover me"....tut, tut...

You should know that pointless rambling (especially soapbox style) is my forte!

Andy or Chris.

They are totally different guitarists with different styles/sounds.
They both bring their bit to what FM are/were doing at the time so its double thumbs up as far as i am concerned!

It would be 'nice' to see a guest appreance of Chris given that he is Steve's brother, however my hat goes off to Andy for putting up with the 'bring back Chris' brigade....

Remember that Chris left as he didnt want to do it anymore. Andy stepped in and kept the band going .

There will always be a change with a new member and FM's change in direction over the years has probably been a band thing (not just due to Andy).

Dave - spot on on all fronts includimg the tut tut!!!

Woah there!!!

i wasnt suggesting anyone was better, just as everyone says the style is different and a preferance in style is what i was askin. Andy stepped in and took the band on and great live

sorry if offended anyone

Sorry John - no offence taken it's more to do with the fact it happens all the time on the Marillion Forum and also that I was a little groggy this morning!!!!

At my age I should know better than post on ANY forum in that state of mind!

Once again sorry.

in a similar vain, who's the best drummer pete or steve?anyone remember the t-rex cover that pete sang and steve played the drums i saw it a few times up norff here, did others get the same privledge elsewhere?

its cool man...

i remember watching the no electricity required video and andy couldnt sit still!!! he was awesome i never had the chance to see chris in the band live.....however his guitar playing guided me away from wham and duran duran so i owe the guy something haha

Chris was great live and used to pull some classic 'guitar faces'. I was lucky enough to be front row on a number of occasions at The Marquee on Wardour St back in 86, 87 before they moved up to The Astoria / Town & Country Club sized venues.

Andy live is another thing altogether - the man never stops!!!!

Not picking a favorite, just that I have seen the band only once - I would LOVE to see Chris playing live, even for just once!!

Chris is more melodic,Andy's the widdler.As a guitar player myself, Chris was a bigger influence .