Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: H.M.Young

Ops book records this of him and his crew - since I sold this website, not a lot of updates have been done, and I agree with your statement

AIRCRAFT TYPE & NUMBER: ED. 877G. (A)
CREW: DUTY:
S/Ldr. H.M. YOUNG AS SHOWN ABOVE
Sgt. R. HORSFALL
Sgt. C.W. ROBERTS
Sgt. L. NICHOLS
F/O. V.S. MACAUSLAND
Sgt. A.G. YEO
Sgt. L. IBBOTSON
TIME: UP. DOWN.
2147 -
DETAILS OF SORTIE OR FLIGHT
MOHNE DAM. 1 Mine. Missing.
Was seen to make an accurate attack with his mine and then accompanied W/Cmdr. Gibson to the
Eder Dam, and back to the Mohne, when the attack was finished. He was not heard on R/T. after
this, and is believed to have flown over Hamm on the return journey and been shot down there.
("Dinghy" Young's Lancaster was shot down by flak North of Ijmuiden at 0258 (Castricum aan
Zee) killing all the crew. The crew rest in Bergen general cemetary.

Re: Re: H.M.Young

See http://www.lostbombers.co.uk/bomber.php?id=8836

Ken Harris
Ops book records this of him and his crew - since I sold this website, not a lot of updates have been done, and I agree with your statement

How do you sell a web site?

hi Paul,

my grandfather's doctor grew up beside the Vincent MacCausland homestead - and many of my family and neighbours were RCAF around this same time.
As you may know, Vincent was the aimer (under Youngs command) who dropped the bomb that broke the dam. Seems there is a lot of confusion arounf AJ-A and their successful hit - don't know why - there's lots of literature out there now. We have to be able to give credit where it s eared - let's wait to see what the new dambuster 2010 movie illustrates. I found a picture of their gravesite - they are burried next to each other.