Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
George Johnson

Re Sqn Ldr George "Johnnny" Johnson.

Some information of interest to the site....I am a television and video producer and I was recently filming at the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford. One of the themes of the 2002 show was a tribute to the bomber crews and several veterans of 617 squadron were present. I am able to interview George "Johnnny" Johnson who was the bomb aimer in Joe McCarthy's aircraft, the only to reach the Sorpe Dam. Readers will be pleased to know he is very much still alive (the site says his status is unknown) and looks fit and well. He tells me they dropped their bomb on the tenth run (not the third as stated in the site). The Sorpe dam was undefended because the Germans thought the high terrain surrounding the site would make it impossible to bomb. There was insufficient room to approach over the water and they had to fly along the dam at and drop their bomb from just thirty feet. They did eventually manage to achieve this and saw the explosion as they climbed away. But the dam was not breached.

This information may be of interest....although the owner/manager of this site invited information I could see no reference to who he is and no link to email him directly.

Regards, Graeme Bowd.

Red Admiral Productions.