Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crew and members of war time sq'n

Since my father (Leo Doyle) passed away in Jan 2004 I feel its time to learn more of his war time/peace time activity in the RAF. He did tell me a few stories but never in great detail, but as a child I do remmber visiting and being visited by his war time friends including ground crew. One close friend was a man called Freddy Tees a rear gunner who was I think shot down on the raid and served as a camp barber after recovering from his burns, he lived near by. So again if any one has any info on either please conact me as I would like to pass on some family history to my still very young family

Re: Crew and members of war time sq'n

Freddie Tees was shot down on the Dams Raid. He surived as the rear turret was blown clear when the aircraft's fuel tanks exploded. He would have died if it wasn't for the fact he and Sgt Strange, the other gunner on Freddie's crew, had swapped places. Freddie was a tall man and Strange was smaller. As the Front Gunner had to have his feet in stirrups to avoid obstructing the Bomb Aimer's view, Freddie was uncomfortable. Thus he ended up in the Rear Turret. This was something that haunted him for the rest of his life and caused him to take his life in the Spring of 1983. I hope this is of use. Rob Haynes.