Queen's Own Highlanders Association

Strathclyde Branch

Queen's Own Highlanders Association
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1st. SEAFORTHS 1930-1950

Hello All,
Any SEAFORTHS or Theirs of 1930-1950 vintage still out there as I need help in searching that specific era re. Family etc? Any contact valued as only a rare few to date of my time noted so far! "CABERFEIDH"

Re: 1st. SEAFORTHS 1930-1950

Hi Mike My Father Alex Irving served with 1st Seaforth druing those years

Willie

Re: 1st. SEAFORTHS 1930-1950

Hi Willie,

Appreciating your reply here, great to hear another of the Regt., Dad was CSM Joe CAVANAGH Small-Arms & Weapons Instructor. Ours were born: DOVER, ALDERSHOT, DINGWALL, MARYHILL, ABBASSIA Depots where we ended up in FG MQ-5H 1939 to 1945, he then Invalided outand we to Edinburgh, he died there in 1955.

So far we have contact/met with a few SNCO's Children and visited FG several times over the years where to me nothing had really changed but improved somewhat,
I can only say I was at home each time, amazing!

Have just recently discovered the details re. my two late Sisters who died in ABBASSIA 1935 and I'm trying to locate their graves in Cairo, recent unrest there has baulked obviously but a few Ex-Pats evacuees are wliing to photo the Lair on there return in time? The Regt. Assoc. can't help me in details so, I'm hoping to find someone with their own sad loss who might have a clue.

Regardless, I have a Regt. SNCO's photo of 1933 taken HongKong Depot, have you seen it and, is Alex on it, I must check? I have others of then from Sgt. Joey APPLEYARD's Son both CHINA & ABBASSIA Families. My E/Add: meav.cavanagh@virgin.net if of use to you as I
would like to hear your side?

Aye,

Mike