Return to Website

Queen's Own Highlanders Association

Strathclyde Branch

Queen's Own Highlanders Association
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hong kong births

im having big trouble getting a birth cert for my son who was born when we were in Hong /Kong Im slim jim mackay was A coy but went to HQ COY RPs i cant get any way forward we any one as they keep telling me he not registered but ive been told it was the bn who are ment to reg when serving abroad could do we the help if any one can.

Re: hong kong births

Hi Jim, Apologies as noted this before and thought I had mailed you? I was born CAIRO 1st. SH 1936, later in RAF Germany I registered my Son at Consulate to be told I was 'British-without-Citizenship' as Dad had not Registered me at Cairo (Regt, had been redrafted HONG Kong so no time!). As both Parents desceased I only had my SH Regt-Birth Cert and ARMY-Book (Chaplain's- Returns). I had to write B/Embassy here & Egypt also. After four year's struggle back & fro, I handed to the RAF Legal-Branch to solve. In four days they had got my 'Retrospective British Subject with 'CITIZENSHIP'so, check ARMY BOOKS of your period, they run in four year cycles (mine 1935-1941) and let me know how you got on? PS I now have both British & Irish Passports just in case, my Lad had great trouble until I got clearance for him in 1967! Aye, Mike

HK BRITISH MILITARY HOSPITAL

Hi Jim,
Afterthought reminds that HK Units would use BM -Hospital HK and would be recorded/confirmed with Regiment accordingly and, so appear in the ARMY-BOOKS: 'CHAPLAINS-RETURNS' for OVERSEAS BMDs of that Regiment. These are then notified via Consulate to
UK GRO. Mine are recorded thus even as I hadn't been
registered by Dad at Cairo Consulate so, your Son is on paper somewhere. With HK handed over all Docs are archived somewhere in this mess!
Keep me posted?
CABERFEIDH,
Mike

Jim,
Give me his Full-Name/D.o.B./Location(Birth)/Mother's Maiden-Name and I'll trawl 'ABCRs' for you to get the Reference then you can approach GROs to confirm situation and hopefully, obtain that Cert? I've just done same after a long hunt re. my own two Siblings Born/Died/Buried in Cairo the year before my arrival on the Planet!
Aye,
Mike

Hi,
Anyone knowing Jim MacKay 90 please pass on the above message as I do not have contact details for him. Thanks all. George