Return to Website

Queen's Own Highlanders Association

Strathclyde Branch

Queen's Own Highlanders Association
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Johnie Bateson

It is with great sadness that I post this I had a phone call from John Donlevy to say that Johnnie had passed away.I don't have the details but I am sure they will come to light shortly Wilma and my thoughts are with his family at this time.

Re: Johnie Bateson

Tam, thank's for informing us all of John's passing, it's very sad news.I had lots of time for him and I'm very sad to hear about this. I have lots of good memories of Johnie and always enjoyed the way he treated me.
My thoughts are with his family.

Frank DePellett

Ah Tam,the news of Johnie's passing really saddens me,such happy memories that I cherish,me loosin the heed,Major Crowe roarin like a bull "47",Dusty pittin his arm round ma shooders saying "steady youth",you shoutin "the provosts lost it"an awe the time I could hear Bateson,standin between the posts,chucklin his heart oot.A sad loss but ye canni take the memories away.

Hi lads,just heard from Bob Towns and he is going to keep me informed of funeral arrangements etc.Will post as soon as I get them.Sad time.Cheers for now John.

Sorry to hear about John a legend in Q/O/Hldrs sporting history a fine man and a good friend to many

Very sad to hear that Johnny has left us, he was a great goalie and looked after all of us who joined 'B' company in Berlin. a great loss

Johnnies funeral is on Tuesday 27th at Inverness crematorium for anyone that can make it.John

Sorry 10-30.

Cheers John sorry I won't be able to make it but if someone can pass on our condolencies I would appreciate it.

kind regards Tam&Wilma

The following attended his funeral earlier today: Dinger Bell, Hamish McPherson, Jimmy Mutch, Sandy Finnie, Sheddie Carr, Vernon Nicholl, Davie Grant, Pat Gillespie, Mike Jacobs, George Burns, Tam Doughty, Albert Duffus, Larry Young, Brian Hermitage, Peter Finlayson, Peter White, John Donlevy, Archie McKinnon, John Dunion, Robbie Robertson, Tanky McBean, Ged Geddes, Dunky Forbes, Bill Russell, Frank Blincow, Donnie McInnes. Andy Venters was the Piper. Apologies if i've missed anyone. A good send off for a good bloke and a "Great Goalie". Dinger arranged for a round of drinks to be charged to Maj Crowe!
Email: bob@townssb.freeserve.co.uk

Hi - I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am John's grandson and have been researching a bit about his life and footballing achievements. I have somehow stumbled across this forum (not even sure if it is still active!) I was wondering if anyone had any photographs or even point me in the directions as to where some might be.

Thanks in advance and it was very nice to read some of your comments

Craig

Hi,

You might get more if you contact us on the Facebook page. Plenty of members who will probably have pictures etc.

Cheers,
George
https://www.facebook.com/groups/37128469191/

Hi George

I have tried, with no success, to find a way to message the group but unless I join as a member I cannot post anyone.

Do you know if there is a way round this?

Sorry to bother you again

Hi,

No problem. Message David Terron who is one of the admins:

https://www.facebook.com/david.terron.3