Forum
Answering your questions about silversmithing & silver restoration.
Member Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Silver Plate Saddle Silver- Maker Mark HAG

I have a 3 year old saddle with silver plated silver. I try to clean it very little, and when I do I only use a silver cloth. However, the silver is turning a gold cast around the edges.

I took a piece of the saddle, and the maker's mark is HAG. I can't find any information on this maker- but I was wondering what the best way to take care of this silver would be.

The saddle maker is out of business, and I bought the saddle used. SO unfortuately I don't have any specifics on the silver.

Thank you!

Re: Silver Plate Saddle Silver- Maker Mark HAG

I have been unable to find any maker of silver plated saddle trim with the initials HAG.

If you are able to remove the trim, I suggest you continue polishing with a mild silver polish. If your trim is lacquered you will need to us a solvent to remove the lacquer and then polish. Using a mild silver polish should allow you to polish for many years before wearing through the plating.

Good luck,
Fred

Re: Re: Silver Plate Saddle Silver- Maker Mark HAG

Thank you Fred, I appreciate the update. I did find out that the maker is Hansen Silver. I had another piece of horse equipment that I knew they had made; and when I removed the silver it had the same mark.

Sincerely,

Deborah

Re: Re: Re: Silver Plate Saddle Silver- Maker Mark HAG

Thanks for letting us know what you found out. It is appreciated.

Fred