Member Forum

If you're unsure of your membership status, please click here before you post. Thank you!

Member Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Correction fluid as a solder inhibitor

Fred,

Thanks. The label (except for the words "Bic Wite-Out") is printed in Hebrew and doesn't specify whether it is water based. I suspect not as the warnings on the back say to keep away from open flame (ha,ha), not to swallow it or inhale the fumes, and that concentrating and inhaling (the fumes, I assume) could lead to serious damage. This sounds to me like something other than water base.

Do you know if these warnings would apply also to the water based product?

And what's wrong with good old ochre anyway?

I've written to the Bic company and hope to get some info there. I'll pass it on if I do.

Thanks again,
Deborah

Re: Re: Re: Correction fluid as a solder inhibitor

When I was in college, we used it all the time as a solder inhibitor, without any issue. We always did our soldering under a fumehood, so that took care of the fumes. I think maybe the warning about inhaling the fumes is to prevent people from "sniffing" the bottle, like some do with glue.

Hope this helps a little,
Shannon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Correction fluid as a solder inhibitor

Thanks. I did get something from Bic, which I think was their standard chemical report sheet about the product, but my computer wouldn't open it. I wrote to them again to say that I couldn't open it and re-asking the question, but got no reply. I had read somewhere that some students had been warned about the fumes, so if anyone else has info, please pass it on.