Forum
Answering your questions about silversmithing & silver restoration.
Member Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: chasing, engraving: problem with translation from Spanish into English

Dear Fred,
Thank you so very much for your reply! I had put "chased" as the translation for cincelado, but the author also used "rechazar"; then colleagues just insisted that it should be engraved, so I decided I was wrong. It's a relief to know my instincts were right.

Again, thank you and thanks for the wonderful glossary on the web site. It's a been a huge help.
Regards,
Patricia

Fred,
I just looked up your site (and your marvelous jewelry production), and I had to let you know that I lived in Tucson until last year and am now living down near Nogales. SMALL WORLD!
Patricia

Re: Re: Re: chasing, engraving: problem with translation from Spanish into English

Patricia,

Thank you for your complimentary words and feel free to ask for any further information you might need.

Fred

Re: chasing, engraving: problem with translation from Spanish into English

Spoke with an old Mexican man that I know. He explained to me that the word is a type of chiseling without removing any metal. More of a decorative effect.

Frances,
Thanks for posting this. I recently wrote privately to Fred, and haven't had a reply, but I'm still struggling (months later) with some confusion about these terms. In your message, are you referring to rechazar, grabar, or cincelar?

I'm certain that grabar = engraving, but I can't get clarity on rechazar and cincelar. The problem is that I thought they were synonyms for chasing, but the two terms appear together in descriptions of items in an art catalog: plata rechazada, cincelada ...

Any thoughts you'd care to share on this would be much appreciated (I'm not a silversmith, so I'm stumbling in the dark here...)

Patricia

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Spoke with an old Mexican man that I know. He explained to me that the word is a type of chiseling without removing any metal. More of a decorative effect.