Member Forum

If you're unsure of your membership status, please click here before you post. Thank you!

Member Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: chasing, engraving: problem with translation from Spanish into English

Patricia,

Cincelar is the Spanish word for the technique known as chasing. The use of a chasing tool (cincel) to line the metal or refine castings. No metal is removed using this technique Cincelado describes what is done to the metal.

Grabar is the Spanish verb to engrave. A graver (grabador) or burin (buril)is the tool used to engrave a design on metal by removing the metal with the sharp tool. Grabado would describe what is done to the metal.

Repujar is the Spanish word used when embossing the metal from behind using blunt tools. Repousse or repoussage is the English word for this technique.

The answer you are looking for is "Chasing". The tools use in the technique are called chasing tools and are driven with a chasing hammer.

Fred

Re: Re: chasing, engraving: problem with translation from Spanish into English

Dear Fred,
Thank you so very much for your reply! I had put "chased" as the translation for cincelado, but the author also used "rechazar"; then colleagues just insisted that it should be engraved, so I decided I was wrong. It's a relief to know my instincts were right.

Again, thank you and thanks for the wonderful glossary on the web site. It's a been a huge help.
Regards,
Patricia

Fred,
I just looked up your site (and your marvelous jewelry production), and I had to let you know that I lived in Tucson until last year and am now living down near Nogales. SMALL WORLD!
Patricia

Re: Re: Re: chasing, engraving: problem with translation from Spanish into English

Patricia,

Thank you for your complimentary words and feel free to ask for any further information you might need.

Fred

Re: chasing, engraving: problem with translation from Spanish into English

Spoke with an old Mexican man that I know. He explained to me that the word is a type of chiseling without removing any metal. More of a decorative effect.

Frances,
Thanks for posting this. I recently wrote privately to Fred, and haven't had a reply, but I'm still struggling (months later) with some confusion about these terms. In your message, are you referring to rechazar, grabar, or cincelar?

I'm certain that grabar = engraving, but I can't get clarity on rechazar and cincelar. The problem is that I thought they were synonyms for chasing, but the two terms appear together in descriptions of items in an art catalog: plata rechazada, cincelada ...

Any thoughts you'd care to share on this would be much appreciated (I'm not a silversmith, so I'm stumbling in the dark here...)

Patricia

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Spoke with an old Mexican man that I know. He explained to me that the word is a type of chiseling without removing any metal. More of a decorative effect.