Forum
Answering your questions about silversmithing & silver restoration.
Member Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sterling Silver - copper exposed?

Lynne,

Are you absolutely sure the earrings are sterling and not silverplate? You wouldn't see copper if the earrings are solid sterling.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have a pair of adored sterling silver earrings that have somehow come into contact with something corrosive. One in particular was looking very bad - almost black. I polished it and polished it with a cloth with good results. (The dip had little effect). When I finally got it looking practically new looking I put it under a light when I felt some rough spots and it appears to be copper that I'm seeing. I guess the corrosive material ate away the silver? My real question is - can I get this repaired?

Re: Re: Sterling Silver - copper exposed?

I really have no way of telling. I thought that since there is copper in sterling silver that it wouldn't be that surprising to see it. It is only visible if you look closely, best with a magnifying glass. I only noticed it because I felt the roughness when I rubbed my finger over it. I took them to a jewelry store and they said I would need a silversmith that does restorations to work on them. Now I just need to find one. I've had these earrings for almost ten years. I would really like to save them. If it is silver plate, what can I do????

Re: Re: Re: Sterling Silver - copper exposed?

Lynne,

It sounds like they're plated. Sterling is a homogeneous alloy, so you wouldn't see a layer of copper. If you send me detailed images of them, I can give you an estimate for replating.

My Web site is http://www.silversmithing.com/silver

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I really have no way of telling. I thought that since there is copper in sterling silver that it wouldn't be that surprising to see it. It is only visible if you look closely, best with a magnifying glass. I only noticed it because I felt the roughness when I rubbed my finger over it. I took them to a jewelry store and they said I would need a silversmith that does restorations to work on them. Now I just need to find one. I've had these earrings for almost ten years. I would really like to save them. If it is silver plate, what can I do????

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sterling Silver - copper exposed?

Thanks Jeff! I just e-mailed you two photos of the earrings. Hope you can help!