Member Forum

If you're unsure of your membership status, please click here before you post. Thank you!

Member Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
toxic flatware?

I have some old Rogers silverplate that I use everday. It is worn in many places and I'm wondering if the base metal or cyanide used in the plating process pose any health hazard. Thanks.

Re: toxic flatware?

I doubt if any traces of cyanide would remain in the plated items you own. The base metal is probably nickle silver (an alloy of nickle and copper). It is possible that food could leach out the copper or nickle and if that is a concern you may wish to have these worn item replated.

Fred

Re: Re: toxic flatware?

Thank you very much for your thoughtful response.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I doubt if any traces of cyanide would remain in the plated items you own. The base metal is probably nickle silver (an alloy of nickle and copper). It is possible that food could leach out the copper or nickle and if that is a concern you may wish to have these worn item replated.

Fred