Member Forum

If you're unsure of your membership status, please click here before you post. Thank you!

Member Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Solid Sterling or Weighted?

It is difficult to discern whether your candlesticks are all sterling or whether some of the weight of the sticks is in the base in the form of resin or plaster.

Does the base have a bottom to it or is it open? To be filled the base would normally have a bottom and the bottom whould be turned up onto the base to seal in the resin or fill. Perhaps you could send me images and that might help.

Fred

Re: Re: Solid Sterling or Weighted?

Hi, the bottoms of these candlesticks are sealed-- as though it is possible that they are weighted with some material inside... but there are no 'weighted' or 'cement loaded' markings to be found. It is usual for makers to weight their items without indicating so with a mark? I had always assumed that by law an items contents had to be specifically stated so as to avoid confusion--I'm sorry that I have no images to offer, here-- your best guess is greatly appreciated.
As you can imagine, value for insurance purposes would vary greatly depending on the answer. Thanks again!

Re: Re: Re: Solid Sterling or Weighted?

I am not familiar with items produced by Matthews Silver. I would suspect the bases are filled or weighted. This is only a guess since I cannot see or handle the candlesticks. You might get the opinion of a local smith or antique dealer who specializes in silver.

Fred