Member Forum

If you're unsure of your membership status, please click here before you post. Thank you!

Member Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Miniture Silver Tea Set

I was wondering if you could help me with an enquiry about some rather interesting silver wear I came across the other day when about an antiques sale. It was in the shape of a miniture tea set, including silver salt shakers, tea pots, and my particular favourite; a silver envelope with hinge.
The hallmarks differered slightly from peice to peice, some more worn than others, but one very clear set included the walking lion, an ancor, a tripple pillar, and a mark intitled "ab&c" which I am finding it rather hard to get hold of information on. Any ideas?
Thankyou.

Re: Miniture Silver Tea Set

Miniature silver is a highly collectable field. I suspect this set has been pieced together by the previous owner due to the varying marks on the pieces. The marks you identify are typical of those used on English silver.

The walking lion or "lion passant" denotes the silver quality of Sterling. The anchor would indicate that the piece was assayed in Birmingham. I suspect that the triple pillar is actually a letter such as M which would help us identify the year it was assayed. The letters AB&C are probably the maker's marks which will help you identify who made the item.

I am unable to identify the maker or even the year they were made without the items in hand and the appropriate books for research. There is in print a book on Birmingham Silversmiths that would possibly give you the information you seek. I would suggest a trip to your local library or even a visit to the Birmingham Assay office if you are close enough.

Good luck and tell is if you discover anything in your search.

Fred

Re: Re: Miniture Silver Tea Set

Thank you Fred Zweig, you have been most helpful.
Faithfully, Sarah